TH400 slushy shifting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
It definitely sounds like stage 1 is the way to go. I like old stories like that. Thanks for sharing. I do remember the old 55mph days. But back then with cars having low gears, it was about top speed, unless you had overdrive. My grandparents had the Phillips 66 that later became the Shell. Grandpa was friends with all the sheriff's, chp's, etc. This one time there was a chp getting gas and visiting while he drank a cup of coffee in the office. A guy came in to fuel-up and started bragging that he had been doing 70mph from LA on his way to Mammoth. He was saying it while he stood next to the officer. The officer looked at him and said, "So you were doing 70?" The guy, "Yeah, I sure was!" The officer wrote him up for admitting that he was speeding.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It definitely sounds like stage 1 is the way to go. I like old stories like that. Thanks for sharing. I do remember the old 55mph days. But back then with cars having low gears, it was about top speed, unless you had overdrive. My grandparents had the Phillips 66 that later became the Shell. Grandpa was friends with all the sheriff's, chp's, etc. This one time there was a chp getting gas and visiting while he drank a cup of coffee in the office. A guy came in to fuel-up and started bragging that he had been doing 70mph from LA on his way to Mammoth. He was saying it while he stood next to the officer. The officer looked at him and said, "So you were doing 70?" The guy, "Yeah, I sure was!" The officer wrote him up for admitting that he was speeding.
That's nuts. I'd think he could fight that ticket and win. I guess I was lucky, I didn't get many tickets in that truck. It was just primer grey with nice chrome wheels. Didn't look fancy at all. In the 80's, whose expecting an old ass 64 pick up to run good? I fuct with cops alot though and get other people in trouble too. :happy175: I don't know how many of them really got tickets, but chirping or barking our tires, you'd get a ticket for Exhibition of Speed and it's not a cheap ticket either. If I was like #1 or #2 vehicle at a red light, and I see in my mirror, there's a cop back there 2 or 3 cars behind me, and a kid in nice Camaro or Mustang beside me or the #1 car. I'd hold it down in 1st. Let the rpms build up to about 4000 rpm hit 2nd gear and bark the hell outta the tires and let off and put it in 3rd to the rpms down and quiet the engine a bit, so now it looks like the Mustang or Camaro is taking off and leaving me. Look in my mirror, I see that cop speeding up, weaving in traffic to get up there to the Mustang or Camaro, pull their ass over and probably give them a ticket. :lol: Talk about being framed. I set that **** up and laugh my ass looking in the rear view mirror going on my merry way.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
On the street I’m just like your dad, lol. I drive like everyone’s grandpa, in the slow lane 60-65 mph, 55-60 with a trailer. On the dirt, however...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I know that's why I got away with breaking land speed records in Mean Green. I'd found a rear end at a station in Newhall that had 3.54 gears. That truck loved cruisng 80mph. I'd be speeding along and see a chp with someone pulled over, and I'd let off the gas to slow it down but I would still be doing at least 75 when I went by. That was 15 over the speed limit but the officer would just look up, see it was an old 65, then proceed with writing the ticket he was writing. About a quarter mile away I would be speeding along again. One time after I moved here, I was living with my brother, and I talked to my girlfriend and she said to get there by 5pm because we were going out to dinner when I got to town. It's normally 2.75 hours door to door. I made it in 2, and that included filling up before getting on the road. Left his house at 3, pulled up at her door at 5...lol...

Or my 8 minute drive to work. 17 miles, left my house and was parking in my spot at work in 8 minutes. That truck was fun!

I got a couple people tickets too. One was in my '56. We were going to visit our aunt and uncle in Long Beach, were at a red light. I saw the cop, but the guy next to me didn't. I revved my engine to invite a race, the light turned green, I casually rolled forward, he took off, and the cop immediately pulled him over...lol...

The other was in my home town. People going up to Mammoth are always speeding through ignoring the 25mph signs. There was a dick of a chp there at the time and I knew he was sitting in wait. I saw a car barreling in so I pulled out, he went around me, and the chp nabbed him.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That’s like 130 mph commute to work. Maybe your speedo/odo was inaccurate.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
That’s like 130 mph commute to work. Maybe your speedo/odo was inaccurate.

The speedometer was off by about 15 mph, so I calculated rpms for various speeds. That commute was done with the clock time leaving my house and when I looked down as I pulled in the parking spot at work, it was 8 minutes later. That stretch of Hwy 395 is usually pretty quiet that early in the morning. I was shocked it was 8 minutes, but it sure was a fun ride...lol...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I liked being in my little F450 Self Loader getting those 2am-5am OK County Sheriff calls when I lived in Cleveland County. So we're supposed to be on LEO calls within 20 minutes. I get the call, woke up, spit and rinse some mouthwash, grab the keys and a hat, boots on, put the hi vis vest on jump in the truck and haul ass. 60-65 in the 40mph surface streets for 1.5 miles to the freeway, hit the freeway and it's speedo pegged all the way, just slowing down for the interchanges in the clover leafs. That little truck hauled ass. It was a chipped 6.7 Scorpian Diesel. Loved that truck. Get by with that **** in a wrecker most of the time, every now and then flew by a LEO and he'd turn on his reds and blues as if to tell me to slow it down and I usually did at least to get outta his view and flash my light bar back at him so he knew I was in route to a LEO call. Cool when you can speed and get by with it. But there's always that one ******* cop too so there's no assurance you won't get stopped.

You must be registered for see images attach

asltrfl

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
Brings back memories. My dad was the same way, I would always see him in the passenger seat slamming the floor with his right foot, like he was trying to hit a non-existent brake pedal. He never said a word, but I could see him hyper-ventilating riding shotgun in my 69 Roadrunner that was jacked-up with a built 383 4-speed.

I got my drivers license 6 months before the speed limit changed DOWN to 55, that sucked because I got a taste of speed, got into auto-mechanics, fast cars, and then got 18 speeding tickets in one year. Lost my license, went to jail 4 times for traffic warrants, driving without a license, etc. But I still kept on driving.

I suddenly learned to lower the back end of my car, put quiet mufflers on it, quit drag racing others light to light, and do everything by the book, and I mean everything. I still had traffic warrants out for me for two more years, but never got pulled over.

Finally got a job making enough money to pay off the warrants and avoid jail. Times were rough in the 70's and early 80's for a young punk with too much horsepower. But fast cars and fast girls kept me away from drugs and crime. But damn...I miss having a cammed-out Boss 302 pull up next to me, and drag-racing from one red light to the next in So Cal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Brings back memories. My dad was the same way, I would always see him in the passenger seat slamming the floor with his right foot, like he was trying to hit a non-existent brake pedal. He never said a word, but I could see him hyper-ventilating riding shotgun in my 69 Roadrunner that was jacked-up with a built 383 4-speed.

I got my drivers license 6 months before the speed limit changed DOWN to 55, that sucked because I got a taste of speed, got into auto-mechanics, fast cars, and then got 18 speeding tickets in one year. Lost my license, went to jail 4 times for traffic warrants, driving without a license, etc. But I still kept on driving.

I suddenly learned to lower the back end of my car, put quiet mufflers on it, quit drag racing others light to light, and do everything by the book, and I mean everything. I still had traffic warrants out for me for two more years, but never got pulled over.

Finally got a job making enough money to pay off the warrants and avoid jail. Times were rough in the 70's and early 80's for a young punk with too much horsepower. But fast cars and fast girls kept me away from drugs and crime. But damn...I miss having a cammed-out Boss 302 pull up next to me, and drag-racing from one red light to the next in So Cal.
You nailed it with fast cars and fast girls keeping you out of drugs and crime. Same here, until I knocked up that one bitch, my daughters mother, not much changed except that I was going to the street races on Friday and Saturday nights with a baby as a single dad. I'm here to tell you, women love good daddies and kids are babe magnets. I thought my life as I knew was over. Not even true. Life just begun. I only thought I had lots of ass before I became a daddy. :rofl: I damn near had my pick of the girls after that from age 18-30 when I was 22yo. Don't think I didn't try out some of them older ones either. The good ole fun days.

What was wrong with that Turbo 400 again? :happy175:

asltrfl

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
What turbo 400? I remember a Turbo 130, but she is probably a Grandma by now. Wish I had a vacuum gauge back then :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Or was that a Turbo 400 with ticklers and ran on C batteries???

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel, tons of isses with vacuum regulator. Check vacuum to modulator. 14-16" at idle must decrease with throttle, 0" at WOT. If all good then adjust modulator clockwise if it's adjustable. Make sure it's right, I've rebuilt many 400's failed or missadjusted regulator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128