Temperature sending unit help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Alright fellas I have ordered two different temp senders from summit racing and both have been too big to thread in the side of the block. This is for my gauge. 87 gmc 350 sbc. If anyone could provide a part number that would be awesome!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Alright fellas I have ordered two different temp senders from summit racing and both have been too big to thread in the side of the block. This is for my gauge. 87 gmc 350 sbc. If anyone could provide a part number that would be awesome!

There are several different design variants (thread size, terminal configuration, number of terminals, etc) and a couple of different applications (ECM, gauge, warning light) for the coolant sensor. I don't know your exact situation, so - to avoid confusion - here is the relevant section of the parts list. I'll let you pick out what you need. If the senders you have already tried are too big (1/2" NPT) you will need one with 3/8" NPT threads. Problem is the thread diameter & pitch is not included for most of the sensors listed. You'll have to do a little research.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Pretty sure the 1/2 NPT is the most common. Make sure you're getting a Temp Gauge Sender/Sensor and not a Temp Light Switch too. Sender/Sensor has variables, Switch just has off and on.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
There are several different design variants (thread size, terminal configuration, number of terminals, etc) and a couple of different applications (ECM, gauge, warning light) for the coolant sensor. I don't know your exact situation, so - to avoid confusion - here is the relevant section of the parts list. I'll let you pick out what you need. If the senders you have already tried are too big (1/2" NPT) you will need one with 3/8" NPT threads. Problem is the thread diameter & pitch is not included for most of the sensors listed. You'll have to do a little research.

I’m trying to look and see which one I would need but this document is kind of confusing. This sender is for a gage. 1987 v1500 GMC. A buddy of mine told me I needed the nipple style plug...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I’m trying to look and see which one I would need but this document is kind of confusing. This sender is for a gage. 1987 v1500 GMC. A buddy of mine told me I needed the nipple style plug...

Can you post an image of the terminal connector (on the end of the lead that goes to the sender).

Actually, it would be even more helpful if you provided a photo of the original sender. There must be something screwed into the threaded hole now - or coolant would be flowing out.

Also, as far as location; when you say this:

Alright fellas I have ordered two different temp senders from summit racing and both have been too big to thread in the side of the block.

I'm guessing that you mean the sender screws into the cylinder head not the engine block - is that correct?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
cts doesnt thread into the block a knock sensor does. CTS goes in the heads or intake manifold, post a picture of what you are trying to replace.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Can you post an image of the terminal connector (on the end of the lead that goes to the sender).

Actually, it would be even more helpful if you provided a photo of the original sender. There must be something screwed into the threaded hole now - or coolant would be flowing out.

Also, as far as location; when you say this:

Alright fellas I have ordered two different temp senders from summit racing and both have been too big to thread in the side of the block.

I'm guessing that you mean the sender screws into the cylinder head not the engine block - is that correct?

Ok I will get the pics uploaded. And yes I meant cylinder head. In-between 1 & 3 cylinder. I don’t have the old sender unfortunately. I bought this engine remanufactured and there wasn’t any sensors to go off of..

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size

That’s the location

This is the connector

Part number through summit racing.

This is the sender I purchased. Also ordered another one from summit that was exactly the same threads, which I thought was different but wasn’t. The threads are way to big to fit in that hole in the head.​

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
cts doesnt thread into the block a knock sensor does. CTS goes in the heads or intake manifold, post a picture of what you are trying to replace.
Yea I meant heads not block hahah. I posted pics

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, your head appears to have a smaller hole than the 1/2 NPT that normally goes there. That part you pictured does appear to be the right part, but due to your head, you're going to have to fake them out at the parts counter. Do you know the head casting # to find out what year they came off of? Then you'll have to hope to the ohms and such match up on the gauges to keep it accurate. Otherwise, your choice it to use the intake manifold instead and use that part you pictured. It'll work just fine there too just that it'll be a bit slower to read full temp since cylinder head temp is hot quicker. I've ran temp gauges in intakes before and they were accurate according to what thermostat I was running.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a brand new set of Blueprint heads, and have exactly the same problem with finding a sending unit. I also ordered a TS6 sending unit because the specs made it sound like it would fit - but its too big.

Both my previous sets of iron heads used the larger sending unit (TS6, etc.), so I don't have a parts number for the smaller sending unit.

I also have a Summit digital gauge under the dash, and it uses a much smaller sending unit. However, I was able to find the right adapter at Home Depot and have installed it in the Blueprint heads.

Bruce

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a brand new set of Blueprint heads, and have exactly the same problem with finding a sending unit. I also ordered a TS6 sending unit because the specs made it sound like it would fit - but its too big.

Both my previous sets of iron heads used the larger sending unit (TS6, etc.), so I don't have a parts number for the smaller sending unit.

I also have a Summit digital gauge under the dash, and it uses a much smaller sending unit. However, I was able to find the right adapter at Home Depot and have installed it in the Blueprint heads.

Bruce
You too can use the intake manifold. Good thing about having both, you'll be able to see the difference between water temp and cylinder head temp. Everything working right, there shouldn't be much difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224