tank selector delay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradov10

Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I just got my second fuel pump installed on my truck and when I switch it in the cab the truck dies and you have to turn over a bit for it to fire back up.. I just didn't know if they were all that way or if its something wrong with mine..

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck never dies when I switch between tanks. I have a single mechanical pump. Not sure why yours is, or the exact setup on 87 and how it is supposed to work.

87silveradov10

Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My truck never dies when I switch between tanks. I have a single mechanical pump. Not sure why yours is, or the exact setup on 87 and how it is supposed to work.

Thank you for the quick reply I don't really think it supposed to die either

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yours are electric? Maybe it is not priming at startup?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
If the TBI switch is the same as the later version of the carb tank switch you actually have to hold if for a second or two while changing tanks.

If you just flip it one way or the other the valve doesn't fully move.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the TBI switch is the same as the later version of the carb tank switch you actually have to hold if for a second or two while changing tanks.

The older pickups had a solenoid valve, when switched to the right side tank, at least I think that is the one, the switch supplies power to the valve, as long as the switch is in that position, there will be power to that solenoid valve.
When the switch is turned to the left side tank, power is removed and a spring shoves the solenoid valve the other direction. That being the primary tank.
I would always use the tank, that needed power first, that way, if there was a power failure to the switch, I would have a full tank to run on.

The 87 and newer pickumups, like the 3500 series up to I believe a 89, they have a "Motorized Valve", The switch needs to be held in the position, for the tank Yo want to switch to, for several seconds so it will give the motor enough time to switch over. When the switch is released, power is eliminated from the valve and the motor holds that position ntil it is moved to the other tanks position.
I sure wish I had My 87 K1500 GMC back, that thing was a beast.
A took a girl for a ride in it one day, Her comment was, I think this pickup is quick as a cat. I had to agree.

87silveradov10

Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yours are electric? Maybe it is not priming at startup?

The older pickups had a solenoid valve, when switched to the right side tank, at least I think that is the one, the switch supplies power to the valve, as long as the switch is in that position, there will be power to that solenoid valve.
When the switch is turned to the left side tank, power is removed and a spring shoves the solenoid valve the other direction. That being the primary tank.
I would always use the tank, that needed power first, that way, if there was a power failure to the switch, I would have a full tank to run on.

The 87 and newer pickumups, like the 3500 series up to I believe a 89, they have a "Motorized Valve", The switch needs to be held in the position, for the tank Yo want to switch to, for several seconds so it will give the motor enough time to switch over. When the switch is released, power is eliminated from the valve and the motor holds that position ntil it is moved to the other tanks position.
I sure wish I had My 87 K1500 GMC back, that thing was a beast.
A took a girl for a ride in it one day, Her comment was, I think this pickup is quick as a cat. I had to agree.

yes mine is electric... Thanks for all the info mrmarty51 I was driving home tonight on the driverside tank which the gauge doesn't work all the time and I knew it was low.. but anyways it ran out and when I switched I couldn't ever hear the passenger side fuel pump start.. I kept switching it on and off with no change so I reached around and wiggled the wires on the back of the selector and it came on so maybe its a bad switch or loose connection!!!!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Remove the jockey box, and, the ashtray components. Much easier to get to.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn Marty way go boy. :waytogo: