Tailgate Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Any recommendations for online places to order a tailgate? Quality is a priority.

TIA.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No particular recommendations, but if ordering online and not verified quality, look at the weight.
Cheap ones are significantly lighter if you compare.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You’re a ways away, unless you get up around seattle at all, but I have a 1980 gmc tailgate. Solid, no rust, works good, handle not bent, not bowed or beat up. Has one dent in the top needs fixed.
Let me know if you’re interested.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
AMD / auto metal direct sells the TriPlus tailgate, it’s a heavy gauge item (over 60 lbs) it’s probably the best of the aftermarket ones. But of course if you can find an original, they’re always better.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No wrecking yards down your way? My local yard has about a dozen of them laying around. I just picked one up off the ground a few days ago, it still had the brushed aluminum piece on it. I leaned it up off the ground so no one would step on it and ruin it. I would have bought it but I was on my road bike and got one from them a couple years ago with hardware for $100. Check your local yard.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
...handle not bent...

I can honestly say I have never seen one that was straight, even back in the 80s. I really thought they were made crooked.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can honestly say I have never seen one that was straight, even back in the 80s. I really thought they were made crooked.
Haha, well, I'll qualify it with not "too" bent. I was considering swapping out the handle into my tailgate, because it is only ever so slightly bent.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
You’re a ways away, unless you get up around seattle at all, but I have a 1980 gmc tailgate. Solid, no rust, works good, handle not bent, not bowed or beat up. Has one dent in the top needs fixed.
Let me know if you’re interested.
Thanks GD, but I left the Seattle area 16 years ago to Southern Oregon. Never looked back.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
No wrecking yards down your way? My local yard has about a dozen of them laying around. I just picked one up off the ground a few days ago, it still had the brushed aluminum piece on it. I leaned it up off the ground so no one would step on it and ruin it. I would have bought it but I was on my road bike and got one from them a couple years ago with hardware for $100. Check your local yard.
Unfortunately none that have Square parts.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No particular recommendations, but if ordering online and not verified quality, look at the weight.
Cheap ones are significantly lighter if you compare.
oh god really they are lighter? thats not a good thing for most people but My body would ******* appreciate my actions more if i didnt have as much to lift and hold out from me to take off and put on a tailgate. its laborous and im pretty sure the way I do it is the right way. I hold it perpendicular to my body, with my arm making a hypotenuse to the center bottom of the tailgate(proper orientation, balance is best and then walk it in and install cup onto the circle side, then orient myself the other direction since i can rest weight on the cup, lift the gate so its about 45 up from being inline with the bed, then install the other trunnion cup thing over the thing because that approach allows it in the slot on the tailgate, then hold it flat,over extend the link, lift gate, and over the shaped stud thing then push in and lower then walk over and repeat on the other link.

but this whole time trying to hold an object larger than myself at a slightly inopportune way. If I have to walk with the tailgate i either hug it or overhead because i cant reach the bottom if its under my arm which would be so nice if i could -_-

i made the rest small because its some brain melt not many will want to read but i welcome any resposne if you do.

But grit dog, on serious note, do you by chance know how much lighter a cheaper tailgate is, like is it specifically cost is proportional to weight because Id be the one person in the world who would love a cheap ass tailgate that wouldnt cut it on a truck that isnt just for show. lol

I dont know what ford puts in them but my 96 tailgate is one heavy ****** and its really no more structurally robust as the square tailgate, just has a nicer handle and the skin looks flat despite not being flat, whereas my squares the skin shows the bend a bit but not like end of the world bad

The following is observations on two gmc tailgates 77 and 80 i believe.(left to right)
that bed on left is 80 and the right is 78, if matters. this is all nieche stuff that may be of interest, may not.

You must be registered for see images attach

if anyone is curious I believe the tailgate on the right to be the original 1980 GMC tailgate off my square as the paint job doesnt seem to match my truck but it has that black stripe going on and has molding strips on it while my square was painted in the same white and brown but with minor accenting with black and i believe the molding was different but that would have been my grandpas personal choice since he repainted and did auto body for many years, i can tell by the spots of lead i find all over lol

Anyway, that blue circle is a tree or something looks to fell into it and the tailgate in yellow would have came from probably the same bed as a 77 he took apart and i have the frame and trans/tcase on and the hood on my truck now. I say that bcause it was a lighter more gold kind of brow before I JD yellowed it. It was full of moss and rust and dirt so who knows tho

That tailgate was pinned by something that hit it near that latch and pushed it out of shape so the handle feels weird and i used a grinder to grind cclearance for it to move becase the tailgate started tearing in the center and i couldnt latch it lol. I think I figured out why its tearing, seee my bed sides. FIrst here to confirm it, squarebody tailgate skins are not up to snuff tensile wise to support both sides pulling on the tailgate. Not sure anyone even asked but thats what im here for, useless or peculiar information that crossed very few people before. Im joking lol, but i know some find it annoying but some also find it neat

the side is going to eventually damage the frame on my topper because the topper ive noticed is really putting on a stretch if you open the door. If anyone has a suggestion on how to keep the bed sides from bowing outward and the answer not be a a new floor because I have good bedsides if the besideitself is to blame. but if its floor supports my next question is an idea for a creative solution to push outward from the bottom or somehow brace it from the frame at the rear straight out and allow the bed to rest on that because I could add shims or jack up the side , install solution, then relieve.I have a lot of metal stock and could probably find something to go across length wise or smaller sections and do something special. im just woried about the leverage that distance puts on stuff. if it can be mocked up i could always get it welded.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88