Tach Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are these trucks pre-wired (like a signal wire under the hood) for the tach? I'm looking to temporarily add a 52mm (2") tach in the dash - got a spot for it just fine - but am wondering if there is a signal wire under the hood that wasn't hooked up to clusters without one.

I have seen some elude to it, so was wondering if its there to find. I'm used to hooking them up to a coil but the PO put an HEI distributor in....I'm not sure what brand even.

Sorry if this has been asked....most every post I find is about the factory tach add-on or something with the dash wiring / stock cluster.

Thanks.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Look for a GREEN wire but I'm not convinced a "signal wire" will be simply chillin. ESPECIALLY not in a round eye.

Looking top down at the distributor cap - where the power wire connects - it will be marked , on the cap, "BATT" and "TACH".
Use a simple speaker wire terminal to insert into the cap. It's EASY.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cool - thanks Rusty. The green wire with a connector on the end was what kept popping up in pics, which is what made me wonder that. Like anything mass production, most of the time the wiring is pretty inclusive for base options...so I was hoping, but not expecting. lol

I saw nothing on the cap - going to pull its plug and see whats marked there. Just trying to get something in temporarily so I can set my idle.

:)

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
No problem. It'll be the slot towards the firewall , I think fan side is power. One will be 12 volts the other 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400