Synthetic oil after break in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So I have a question about switching to synthetic oil.

The LT1 in my truck is a crate motor that was installed in the summer of 2004. Shortly thereafter (About 4000 miles later) the truck was parked and put under a tarp in the back of a dry barn. My grandfather owned it at that point, and when he died in 2008 my cousin inherited the truck. He got it out and changed the wear items (oil, plugs, filters, etc.) ran it a few times to keep it in good shape and then parked it again. I purchased it from him last year (summer 2014) and did the same thing but made it my DD.

So the motor has about 6,000 miles on it and was broken in properly at the time of install. I have an oil change coming up in 1500 miles and I want to know if it would make sense to switch to synthetic at that point. It's a newer motor so its been updated to handle less ZDDP and such (and it came with EGR. Yuck.) so should I be fine switching to Mobil 1 synthetic or what? I've been running Pennzoil 10w-30.

Input appreciated, thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
all that really matters is if it has a hydraulic roller cam and lifters. if so no worries about having a flat cam lobe due to low zddp levels.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You will get better lubrication and less wear with synthetic oil. I use Mobil1 10W30.

If you run synthetic oil in an older engine, you will find out how much better it is at getting into every little nook and cranny of the engine, because if yo uhave a leak, synth will find it!

I also run full synthetic AT (lower transmission temps) and P/S fluid (less steering effort).

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yeah I run royal purple 75-90 synthetic in my SM465 and Lucas synthetic PS fluid. I've also heard good things about amsoil 10-30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
For engine oil I just run regular Penzoil 10-30 and change it often. For the price of synthetic I can do 2 1/2 regular oil changes with filters. If you run a good oil filter and change your oil often, it will do more for your engine than synthetic oils will.

I too run partially synthetic ATF in my transmission and hydro boost. I use the pink Dexcool for coolant.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
For engine oil I just run regular Penzoil 10-30 and change it often. For the price of synthetic I can do 2 1/2 regular oil changes with filters. If you run a good oil filter and change your oil often, it will do more for your engine than synthetic oils will.

I too run partially synthetic ATF in my transmission and hydro boost. I use the pink Dexcool for coolant.

DEX-COOL!!!??? Really? How has that gone for you? I'm amazed that works...

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
DEX-COOL!!!??? Really? How has that gone for you? I'm amazed that works...

It has gone really well as it is formulated for use with aluminum and has a longer life than the old green stuff. It lasts about 5 years and I change all my fluids routinely.

Engine oil and filter every 3 months
Transmission fluid and filter change once yearly
Transfer case twice yearly
Differential every other year
Power steering about every 3 years
Coolant about every 3 years also

I bleed the brakes every couple years as well

I never have issues related to fluids

I used to have issues with Thermostats failing all the time and then I switched to DexCool and have never had one fail since!

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
i would say after 6,000 miles you're probably ok to switch to synthetic.

Does the engine have roller lifters?

There is a list of zddp adequate oils---both synthetic and regular but i don't have time to find it right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub