Swapping from auto to manual trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
I am considering swapping my 1982 GMC with the 6.2 diesel from the Turbo 400 to a 4 Speed manual. What do I need to do this swap and is it doable? Thanks!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yes, it’s pretty simple. If you are going mechanical clutch linkage, I have a spare pedal assembly for that. If you are going hydraulic, the pedals are quite a bit more expensive and harder to come by.

They’re all factory parts you can source from Craigslist. I’d buy the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot new.

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
Yes, it’s pretty simple. If you are going mechanical clutch linkage, I have a spare pedal assembly for that. If you are going hydraulic, the pedals are quite a bit more expensive and harder to come by.

They’re all factory parts you can source from Craigslist. I’d buy the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot new.
I have a bell housing and flywheel, assuming they are correct. I am fine with the mechanical clutch.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have a pedal assembly if you don’t have luck sourcing the parts locally. I’m about a 3.5 hour drive from you though. I have a project in Amador county that I’ll be traveling to this week, but that’s about as far south as I’ll be headed for a while.

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
I have a pedal assembly if you don’t have luck sourcing the parts locally. I’m about a 3.5 hour drive from you though. I have a project in Amador county that I’ll be traveling to this week, but that’s about as far south as I’ll be headed for a while.
Where are you located? Do you have just the pedals? Or do you have all the linkage too?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Just the pedals. I don’t post my exact location for privacy reasons. I’m in the Sierra Nevada foothills about 1 hour west of Lake Tahoe.

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
Just the pedals. I don’t post my exact location for privacy reasons. I’m in the Sierra Nevada foothills about 1 hour west of Lake Tahoe.
Understood! I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills as well. I'll let you know on the pedals as soon as I decide to go manual.

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
When you get a chance, shoot me a PM of what you want for the pedals. I'm still weighing my options as to how to go about getting the truck back on the road. Thanks!

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
Does the starter still bolt to the block when running a four speed? Or does it bolt to the bell housing?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Block, unless you use an older style cast iron bellhousing

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
When you get a chance, shoot me a PM of what you want for the pedals. I'm still weighing my options as to how to go about getting the truck back on the road. Thanks!
Will do

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
Block, unless you use an older style cast iron bellhousing
Then I'm guessing finding a starter that would mesh with the 6.2 flywheel and have enough torque to spin the 6.2 would be a challenge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128