Suburban passenger door rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swatter

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 2500
Engine Size
350cid
Hello,I am new here and am looking for some experience/advice.I have a pretty solid 1987 V20 Sub, alas, she needs all four outer rockers and repair/replacement of all four inner rockers. All I seem to find are"slip on" type for the passenger doors.Has anyone cut and "fit" front rockers to the rear? They really aren't that bad but I want them right and durable. Also,the inner rockers I bought ( Key) are very odd shaped and I cannot figure them out. I just cut away what I didn't need and welded them in. That triangle bend, wheres that go? The underside of the sub. is clean and solid and the parts do not seem to look like anything there. Has anyone bought replacement rear Qtr.skins? If so where,and how was the quality and fit? Thank you, swatter

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There are no correct rear rocker panels available, just the slip fit type. I've been looking, I really need the full panel but I'm going to be forced to make the jamb area myself.

Don't worry too much about the inner rockers, all they do is trap dirt and moisture which causes the rockers to rust. Mine aren't show trucks so I choose to trim away the rusted portions of the inner rocker and leave it at that.

swatter

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 2500
Engine Size
350cid
Thanks for the reply. Thankfully,my jambs are real good. It was a western truck,owned/operated by a professional,so she is not beat up. I am going to sacrifice a O.E.M replacement front rocker and see how it goes. if I leave the inner rocker off, do I loose anything but a crap trap?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am in the process of putting the slip on 2 door one piece ones. You need a BFH to get them to fit right. I got the driver's side done and plan on hittn the pass side this fall/winter. I dug most of the old rusty **** out, soaked it in rust converter, and slapped them on and sealed them. The inners I had to fabricate and patch. If I get another 7-10 out of them I will be more than pleased.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I am in the process of putting the slip on 2 door one piece ones. You need a BFH to get them to fit right. I got the driver's side done and plan on hittn the pass side this fall/winter. I dug most of the old rusty **** out, soaked it in rust converter, and slapped them on and sealed them. The inners I had to fabricate and patch. If I get another 7-10 out of them I will be more than pleased.

Take it from this guy, he's got a real wholesome Suburban. :mfr_omg:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Take it from this guy, he's got a real wholesome Suburban. :mfr_omg:

Like.... these????
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks for the reply. Thankfully,my jambs are real good. It was a western truck,owned/operated by a professional,so she is not beat up. I am going to sacrifice a O.E.M replacement front rocker and see how it goes. if I leave the inner rocker off, do I loose anything but a crap trap?

You're going to cut up the OEM rocker for use in the rear? Or the front?

My Burb doesn't have any of the inner rockers left at the rear, but the front rockers are fine. The rear outers are just screwed in place and have been like that for a couple years, still nice and sturdy. I never fully installed them because of the issue in the jamb and I don't know if I'm putting quarter skins on it or not.

I put a 'front' rocker in my C10 and 2/3's of the inner was shot. It is also nice and sturdy. However, if both front and rear inner rockers are left out on a Burb, it might be a little flimsy. You will want to have at least a portion of inner rocker somewhere along the length of it.

swatter

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 2500
Engine Size
350cid
I was going to trim ( cut off the jambs) a front rocker to see if it would fit better or am I just making a slip on anyways?

Any thoughts on rear qtr. skins? I see LMC and classic industries show them, what about fit and quality? I could piece the rears ( three separate pieces) front /rear lower and wheel wheel top) but getting all the seams and finishing it smooth may not be worth the effort. I am not restoring it, it is a driver and I intend to use it as a suburban should be used.
Thanks again.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I was going to trim ( cut off the jambs) a front rocker to see if it would fit better or am I just making a slip on anyways?

Any thoughts on rear qtr. skins? I see LMC and classic industries show them, what about fit and quality? I could piece the rears ( three separate pieces) front /rear lower and wheel wheel top) but getting all the seams and finishing it smooth may not be worth the effort. I am not restoring it, it is a driver and I intend to use it as a suburban should be used.
Thanks again.

I have installed many of those panels. I suggest the slip on rockers that are one piece that cover both front and back doors. There are pics of my install here to give you an idea:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723

I have also installed many of the rear quarter pieces on both sides of my Burb. They always need massaging and do not fit one hundred percent perfect. I have bought panels from a few different places according to the best price avail.

You also should check the inside of the rear wheel houses, they crack open in the middle and start to rust, I had to fix mine.

LeviHansen

Reaction score
First Name
levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 crew
Engine Size
Same issue

I got a 83 crewcab diesel :) i wish they made full outer rockers for the crew....:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64