Suburban/K5 Power tailgate lock cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

In the pics, the left cylinder is from my '91 barn door burb and the right one is from a '90 tailgate burb. I'm trying to get the tailgate cylinder keyed to all the round key locks on my '91 with an "H" key code. The '90 was key code "D". I took both to my favorite locksmith yesterday and they said no can do since the keyways are different- the H key won't even go in. I thought they could swap some of the guts around but they did not seem to think so. Dang. LMC has a power tailgate cylinder (p/n 36-0704) but it's $120 and I'm not sure it would work - says '73-'86. I might be stuck with a separate key for the tailgate (which I can't find - think I may have given all keys to the guy that bought my '90 parts rig when I was done with it) or trying to find a tailgate cylinder from a '91. Any other idears out there?

(This is all part of my barn door to tailgate conversion, in case you're not following my other thread).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Try another lock shop? I seem to remember getting a new GM tailgate lock cylinder (about 10 years ago) and having a local lock shop key it to my original key.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I feel kind of dumb but the answer may have been sitting in front of me all along - the square key from my '91 fits in the tailgate lock from the '90! The lock shop told me they could re key as long as the key I want to use goes in. No big deal to use the ignition key in the tailgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Interesting info. I have a diffetent key on mine after swapping front doors. Just don't want to take doors apart to fix it