Stripped bellhousing to transmission threads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'm sure this is fixed but it seemed like a good place to throw this in so you all can put in your memory in case you ever need it.
@Grit dog was talking about redneck helicopter coils,I'm going to tell you how I make redneck helicoils. I prefer to just buy and use heli coils but being an hour an hour away from everything it's not always possible,and sometimes you have to order the kit you need. Here's how I do it find a bigger bolt that I have a tap for clamp a chunk of 2x4 in the drill vice bore a hole your new bolt will fit snug in.Don"t move your wood or the drill vice,put your bolt in the hole,put a combination wrench on it, use the drill size for what ever bolt you stripped outs tap size to drill a pilot he in the bolt. Now you have a bigger bolt with a hole centered.Use the hollow bolts hex head and screw it into your retapped bolt hole. Keep your wrench on it and tap the I.D. to the size you need then drill or grind the head off. I know Pita but if you have to wait a day for a heli coil you do what you have to.

Damn that's a slick trick there.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've tried but learned, I can never trust JB Weld.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
What if I wanted to fix it like an Arizona River Donkey and JB Weld it?
Then I would do a combination of a few suggestions. I'd put some pressed into the threads of the stripped bolt hole and then thread in some all-thread as a stud. Let the JB weld solidify for 24-48 hours and then use a hardened washer and locknut to torque it down... done. Red loc-tite isn't going to replace threads.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I've tried but learned, I can never trust JB Weld.
You must be registered for see images attach
I just used some on my Buick 455 drivers side head. Someone before I got it let it freeze with water in it and split the outside wall of the drivers side cylinder head. I drilled the ends of the cracks and ground any sharp edges down with a rotary file and then filled the crack with JB weld before pounding the cast metal back in. Then a generous amount over the top of that. Let it cure for 2 days and then filled it back up with water and pressure tested it to 20PSI.... no leaks.

If it ends up failing down the road I might try taking that head off and having a machine shop take a crack at it(heh heh), but hopefully I'll be ready to blow a few grand on new aluminum heads by then.

Either way, I think Freiburger had it right for a Roadkill car.. "You don't need to get it right, you need to get it running"

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm sure this is fixed but it seemed like a good place to throw this in so you all can put in your memory in case you ever need it.
@Grit dog was talking about redneck helicopter coils,I'm going to tell you how I make redneck helicoils. I prefer to just buy and use heli coils but being an hour an hour away from everything it's not always possible,and sometimes you have to order the kit you need. Here's how I do it find a bigger bolt that I have a tap for clamp a chunk of 2x4 in the drill vice bore a hole your new bolt will fit snug in.Don"t move your wood or the drill vice,put your bolt in the hole,put a combination wrench on it, use the drill size for what ever bolt you stripped outs tap size to drill a pilot he in the bolt. Now you have a bigger bolt with a hole centered.Use the hollow bolts hex head and screw it into your retapped bolt hole. Keep your wrench on it and tap the I.D. to the size you need then drill or grind the head off. I know Pita but if you have to wait a day for a heli coil you do what you have to.
That sounds like a ton of work and an absolute last resort.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yep its kind of a pain,but really its just drilling and tapping 2 holes. Sometimes it's a lot more time effective than getting a helicoil kit. I prefer to use a helicoil or time sert, But I only have 6 sizes of time serts here and 3 helicoil kits. Sometimes there just isn't time,to go get an odd ball helicoil kit ,especially if the kit has to be ordered.
And spell check has been kicking my a$$ tonight. That first post I did not type helicopter coils

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84