Starter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
When I bought my Burb last Saturday, I immediately noticed that the starter sounded horrible, like it needed to be shimmed. (Old owner told me same thing, too). Tonight I removed starter and re-installed with a .040 shim in between starter and block. Got it all hooked up and tried to crank - engine turned over about 1/2 turn then stopped. I get nothing now when I turn the key, no clicking, motor strain, nothing. (But there is power down at the starter and in the cab for accessories, and buzzers and lights come on on dash). What do you guys think? Did I burn something up? I pulled the starter again and when I started loosening the main bolts I heard something click, like maybe the Bendix popped back in. I almost hooked up the connections again to see if it would crank some more, but I was tired so I just pulled the whole thing and will try again tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know! Thanks,

Dave

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Maybe something here will help.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931&highlight=starter&page=3

attachment.php

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It sounds like the solenoid/bendix drive are not stroking fully.

Pull the starter and bench test it. If it works in the vise, it should work when bolted to the engine. Observe that the bendix drive extends fully outward and snaps back when power is removed. Check condition of the pinion gear.

While the starter is out, climb under the truck and inspect the ring gear. Jack the engine over and look for bent, twisted, missing teeth.

Check condition of wiring and battery cable connections (both ends, both cables) for tightness.

It might just be time for a new starter.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
It does help, thanks. Tells me that when I thought clearance was too tight it might have been too loose. I will try using a half shim on the outboard side and see if that helps.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Those starters are super easy to pull apart. Its been so long ago since I have I almost don't remember how lol you can flip the contacts around on the solenoid once they wear out and double the life of the unit. or I remember having to stretch the spring before so it would engage properly too.

about 5 years ago I bought an actual 4wd specific starter and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Cool. Just ended up buying a reman - $40. It's a Remy brand. Just found out about the difference between 4wd and 2wd with closed vs open nose cone. Unfortunately parts store gave me open cone but they are interchangeable so I will just go with it. (Old one is open cone too) thanks for help, all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No worries

Forum statistics