Squeaking/Odd Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So a few days ago when i took the drive shaft out of my 83 k10, i dropped one of the U-joint caps because i forgot to tape them. I used the caps off another brand new U-joint, not for this truck, but the caps were exactly similar.

when i pulled the drive shaft out of the transer case, it drained something around a quart of transmission fluid out, although from other experiences with other vehicles it only drains a little cup full. So, i put about 1 and 1/2 quarts, maybe 2, back in to fill it up. Greased the U joint while i had it off too.

Now, it makes a weird kind of squeaking noise when you drive. Doesn't do it so much in reverse really, although it still does if your going fast enough. Its a hard to explain noise, but it certainly is coming from something in the whole drive train.

My friend checked the transmission fluid, while it was running, and he said it was empty. By empty i don't know if he means it didn't have much or if it was dry. So, we put a couple quarts of transmission fluid in, doing nothing to solve the problem. I did drive it for a couple minutes before filling it up with transmission fluid, but at a very very slow speed.

I have no clue what this noise could be. Dooes anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
looking at it again, the transmission fluid is really full, overfull. Would this cause it? Going to drain the fluid and fill it up with the correct amount sometime soon.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Geez, it's so hard to guess without hearing it. I'll suggest speedo cable or maybe carrier bearing if it has one in the driveshaft. No, trans fluid over full will not do it.

You might not be over on the trans fluid. Remember, it gets checked, In Park, engine running, normal operation temp, on a level surface. Any other way, it will be off and not an accurate reading.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Geez, it's so hard to guess without hearing it. I'll suggest speedo cable or maybe carrier bearing if it has one in the driveshaft. No, trans fluid over full will not do it.

You might not be over on the trans fluid. Remember, it gets checked, In Park, engine running, normal operation temp, on a level surface. Any other way, it will be off and not an accurate reading.

Also if its speedo cable, it might tend to jump also.

imoto344

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I would be taking a close look at that u joint. No noise until you had it out and replaced that cap. Jon

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
When you transplanted the caps from the donor u-joint to your currently installed u-joint, is it possible that one (or more) of the needle bearings flopped out of the array and fell down into the bottom of the cap?

They lay down there sideways. Then, as you drive, the end of the spider grinds back and forth over it with each revolution and the u-joint makes noise. I guess the sound it makes could be described as a squeak.

I don't recall an overfilled transmission making any noises.

You could try disassembling the u-joint and making it back up with the spider arms rotated 180 degrees in the yoke.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the answers!

Trans fluid cold is a long ways up the dipstick, could be fine but i seriously doubt it on that.

Could be speedo cable, ill check that. When i bought the truck, a new speedometer cable had just been put in and in cold weather it makes a whirring noise at the gauge itself, and isnt exactly always accurate, but good enough.

As for the u joints and caps, its possible one of the needle bearings flopped down. I was careful putting it on, and am pretty sure it didn't happen, but i might as well check that too.
Might be able to get a video of the noise, hopefully youll be able to hear it in the video...

The u joints themselves are good, when the drive shaft was out i moved them around and they didn't move in any direction they shouldn't, no hard turning in any direction its supposed to turn, very smooth and seems good.

And, the squeak isnt high pitched at all, not sure how to describe it other then that

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Checked the whole thing over, everything seems fine. someone i know looked at the u joints who is a master mechanic, i trust his opinion, who said they are fine. Checked the needle bearings in the caps, none at the bottom, everything is as it should be. I can hear the noise is coming from around the rear u joint/differential. Still cant figure it out. Any help?

And the noise isnt a high pitched sqeak, its more like a really low pitched squeak or a creaking kind of noise, noise sounds to be going about the same speed as the driveshaft.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
IS the fluid in your rear differential filled to correct level ? Maybe time to pop off the cover and do an inspection.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hmm, if you've checked it all out and got the noise down to the rear axle, as rare as it is, I'd probably have to go with Pinion bearings. Are you sure you're gear oil level in the rear axle is up to par??? 10bolts have eaten pinion bearings in K series trucks running big tires.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wasn't sure on the gear oil level, so i went to put a little in and it hardly took any, so thats good.
And i'm only running 33's on a 4 inch lift, so its nothing huge. Sure hope it doesn't end up being the pinion bearings... when it comes to differentials i am clueless.
Would hammering with a mallet on the caps and sometimes missing hurt the pinion bearings? I fel like it has t be something i've done, not that it would just be coincidental that something else broke in the mean time... What can cause the pinion bearing to go bad/wear down?

If a u joint moves fluidly and smoothly, no hard rotating points and stuff, could it still be bad? I don't think its bad, but who knows....

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

hmm, if you've checked it all out and got the noise down to the rear axle, as rare as it is, I'd probably have to go with Pinion bearings. Are you sure you're gear oil level in the rear axle is up to par??? 10bolts have eaten pinion bearings in K series trucks running big tires.

HEY that's what I said lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
well you have carrier bearings and outer axle bearings as well. Im not sure. HOTROD probably knows better anyway, all ive ever done is break axles into little pieces, ive never actually had a rear end go south on me.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
And, the noise seems to go away when you drive it a bit faster, on the road. Previously, i had just driven it very slowly around the road right in front of my house, but going onto a main road, when you get faster the noise seems to go away. Not sure if the exhaust is just loud enough then that you cant hear it, or if its no longer there.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
put a new ujoint in. in an emergency situation(to get you out of the boonies) what you did is fine. but you can't take two different ujoints, mix the parts up and think everything is ok. is the cross exactly the same? what about the diameter of the needle bearings? exactly the same dimensions? you said the cap was exactly the same. did you mic it? I find it hard to believe that they are exactly the same. ujoints are fairly cheap(I just bought 2 spicer's for under 40 bucks). you didn't have the noise before and now you have a mismatched ujoint seems obvious to me were the problem lies. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77