Square Thefts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Mine stays in the garage unless I'm driving it and I very rarely let it leave my site to be honest with you. Since I have had it "complete" I can count on one hand the amount of times I've parked it in a parking lot and walked into store of any kind unattended. I'm just very paranoid about someone taking it or doing some kind of damage to it cuz you never know what some jealous jack wagon is going to do or where a criminal might come from. I need to install a kill switch as well. Behind the seat or up under the dash would be a decent place I think. Behind the seat may be hard to wire up and mount, though.

I wish mine stayed in the garage. We "upgraded" back in '09 to a house that's 3x the size of our last one, but with 75% of the garage space. If I put my truck in there, not only would my DD be out, but my wife as well. That ain't happening. But I was insistent on a reasonably flat & large backyard to build an oversized 2-car or a 3-car back there, so that's what I have. Now I've spent so much in the truck and the house since moving, that there's nothing left for building. My DD will be paid off next year, then I'm paying off everything and everyone, and building myself a sweet garage out back. Hopefully mine will live the good, garaged life like yours in a couple of years. As for now, it's in the driveway under a cover.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you want a deterrant, use Derek's advice and leave a pitbull in your truck. If you want to make sure someone wont be able to hot wire your vehicle when the dog isn't around check out powerlock. http://www.powerlock.com

Looking at how this is installed, would it not still be possible to jumper a 12v wire where the relay is at the solenoid and start it?? Or am I looking at it wrong?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
This must be a regional thing and I don't really get it. Why old trucks? There's not much value to them as complete vehicles and the demand for parts is low, seeing how there's more in the junkyards than on the roads these days.

Seems like if someone is going to steal vehicles, they would go for newer, big sellers that aren't in the j-yards, like Toyotas and Hondas. The parts are worth more and there would be a good black market demand through the body shops. The cars that disappear around here are the ones popular with a certain young minority group and they don't drive old Chevys.

I don't worry at all about my Suburban getting stolen, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I walk out of a store and it takes just a second to spot it across the parking lot.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yeah, I think it's regional. A lot of these young boys want a customized "old school" like in the rap videos and at the car shows. They'll buy an old car or truck from under a tree somewhere, then steal one in good condition to strip the good drivetrain and interior from for free. Now they've got a clear titled ride cruise around in, and haven't spent squat for the parts to fix it up. Just like at the junk yards, the money is in the individual parts.

A buddy of mine had a white '85 square w/blue int. Clean 305 truck other than a little paint peel here & there. His '96 Impala was in the shop, and he wrecked his Golf he'd been using as a DD, so he had to drive the square home to see his mom for mothers day. The first night he was there, someone stole it from the driveway. They found it a couple weeks later stripped down and abandoned in the next county. I hate those MFers!

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looking at how this is installed, would it not still be possible to jumper a 12v wire where the relay is at the solenoid and start it?? Or am I looking at it wrong?

The module for the system entirely covers the post on the solenoid for the ignition switch signal. The module is held in place by one way locking jaws, so it's not moving once it's on there without ripping the solenoid apart. Even if a thief were to cut the wire from the ignition switch and run it to a 12v+ feed, the module is where the break in the circuit occurs so the vehicle would still not start.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The module for the system entirely covers the post on the solenoid for the ignition switch signal. The module is held in place by one way locking jaws, so it's not moving once it's on there without ripping the solenoid apart. Even if a thief were to cut the wire from the ignition switch and run it to a 12v+ feed, the module is where the break in the circuit occurs so the vehicle would still not start.

ahhhhh...I see what you're saying. I like that then

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71