square nut tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I started taking my stepside bed apart and other than bolts snapping easily, I'm having trouble with the star bit bolts that hold the fenders on and the square head nuts that hold the bed wood down. Where can I get the socket or should I just grind them all off?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Grind them off. Age and rust makes them pointless to try and remove with tools. Replace them with stainless hardware (and use anti-seize lube when re-installing the new hardware).

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Grind them off. Age and rust makes them pointless to try and remove with tools. Replace them with stainless hardware (and use anti-seize lube when re-installing the new hardware).

That's what I was thinking,I planned on buying new bolts etc when I get it all repaired. should I grind the star head part off or through the square nut side? I had an idea of drilling through the star bit side, just don't want to do a lot of unnecessarydamage to the bedside.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Might be easier to remove bolt with square nut ground off.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
they make sockets for square nuts and bolts. but it might be easier to just grind/cut the off. always work on the side you can't see. that way if you make a mistake it's no biggie. oh btw the sockets are called double square sockets. highdesertranger

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ty for the info on the double square sockets, hoping to get a chance here soon to get the fenders off so I can get them fixed or replaced. Ready to get this thing primed or painted and on! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes