Sound Deadening Material

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I am getting ready to put new carpet in my 73. Which sound deadening material would be best, the EVA or Jute with foil backing?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Dynomat....its the best money you can spend. I did 2 layers UNDER the oem rubber/fiber sound deadening.....EXTREMELY quiet and cooler.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
When I got my truck repainted, i replaced some of the original deadening with jute carpet underlayer. Helped a lot.

Is there enough room to fit dynomat under the headliner?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I used a cheaper alternative called Noico. I used their 50mil foil-backed product on the complete floor and as tiles on the a/b/c pillars. They make an 80mil product as well, and honestly I probably should have used that.

I then layered Noico closed-cell foam over the foil. This acted as a gasketing layer.

I finished up with a layer of mass loaded vinyl. This was the true sound proofing layer, and wow did it ever work. My exhaust is painfully loud and this really helped a lot with in-cab drone etc. The product I used can be ordered online from Home Depot. It is called DB-3. It is by-far the cheapest MLV out there.

Being a crew cab this took a LOT of work, but I think it was ultimately worth it. I just need to do the doors and firewall at some point as I still have a lot of sound/heat coming through them.

Oh - and don't forget to insulate the back cab wall. I noticed the greatest improvement in sound deadening from that, but then the flowmaster super 44s drone real bad so that is probably why.

northeimcustom

Reaction score
First Name
northeimcustom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I am just finishing up doing 'Peel and Seal' on the interior of my regular cab. I purchased this at my local Lowe's store. I have read many very good reviews on using this product as a sound deadener. Very easy to install with a 2'' roller and a hair dryer. No asphalt or rubbery smell to it like others have experienced. I went this route vs. Dynamat or Fat mat because it was way cheaper and I didn't want to invest a bunch of money at this time, I have about $60 in it and that's doing the floor, back of cab, and door panels. I haven't gotten it back out on the road yet but I will give you an update once I do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1