So is this type of Bumper Trim unobtanium?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Hello, again.

I'm doing some work to my 1985 K5 Blazer Silverado I purchased less than a month ago, and right now I'm trying my darnedest to find the two piece set of black rubber bumper trim/cushions/strips for a type of bumper that came on the 1990 - 1991 Suburban. It's the two-piece black rubber trim w/chrome rubber strip that is split in the middle leaving a gap where the license plate goes. Pretty sure they have been discontinued by GM, and I can't find them on LMC to save my life.

Is there ANY SOURCE out there at all for these things currently?

The original GM parts numbers are:

15571635 - Left Side
15571636 - Right Side

I have a bumper with a set of them on there now, but all the chrome has flaked off leaving the yellowing rubber stuff that really gets on my nerves.

If they are not available anywhere, will some of the other stuff that currently is available fit? Or, can it be modded by trimming out the middle portion?

If push comes to shove I suppose I could just paint over all the rubber (flaking yellowing eyesore and all) with some rattle can black, but if there are new replacement parts out there available - original GM or knockoff - I would rather have them on there if at all possible.

They are part #2 in this diagram:

You must be registered for see images attach

I just think these bumpers with the bigger bumper guards look really nice. They almost remind me of the underbite of a bulldog, for some reason. Plus you don't seem to see them as often on the Squarebodies.

I'm sure most of you guys know what I am describing by now, but here's a pic for posterity's sake, anyway.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and tips!

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just a few things. The bumper rub strips in that diagram are the 80's style. The gold Suburban pictured has aftermarket bumper guards that are 80's styled, but mounted where the black plastic '89-'91 guards would have been. Lastly, try getting a bumper rub strip from an '88-'98 (gmt400) truck and using the chrome strip from it. Iirc, the chrome part just snaps into place.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This truck here has the correct setup for an '89-'91:

You can see the stylists were mimicking the new-for-1988 trucks:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But it's common to see later trucks with the earlier bumper guards, it was a good look to many. This one has factory guards for an earlier model, mounted where the earlier trucks had them too. Excuse the pallet.

Imho, mix and match the parts to get the look you are after.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
But it's common to see later trucks with the earlier bumper guards, it was a good look to many. This one has factory guards for an earlier model, mounted where the earlier trucks had them too. Excuse the pallet.

Imho, mix and match the parts to get the look you are after.

The bumper in this pic looks a lot like the one I have. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same. It came off a 1989 Suburban but I don't know if it was on it originally or not. I will post a pic of it later today when the sun comes out. I am getting ready to polish it up and install the thing - hopefully before the weekend.

I didn't know the pic in post #1 was an aftermarket bumper. I'm kinda new to the Square Body world so please bear with me as I'm sure that won't be the first time I look misinformed. LOL

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Did you try Classic Industries? It looks like they have reproduction bumper impact strips.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Did you try Classic Industries? It looks like they have reproduction bumper impact strips.

No I have not but I will now. Thanks for the heads up. I just searched every single page result on eBay for the search term "K5 Bumper" and found zero impact strips. Several places have the impact strips for the bumper guards, just not for the actual bumper. I don't even care if it has chrome at this point as long as it fits properly. Getting rid of that pale yellow, formerly chrome part on there is goal. I don't care if it's chrome or black as long as the one on there gets gone.

Got the bumper put on today but haven't had a chance to polish off the "patina" (AKA: rust) yet. Busted off a chunk of the grille at the top working under the hood recently so I am ordering a new replacement grille and some chrome light bezels from LMC in the morning.

CJ Paul

Reaction score
First Name
Christoph
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Made an account just to say that those ugly white/yellow strips can be peeled off and leave the black strip. I pulled mine off a few years ago for the same reason. I’ve included beforehand and after pictures of my bumper so you can see.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Made an account just to say that those ugly white/yellow strips can be peeled off and leave the black strip. I pulled mine off a few years ago for the same reason. I’ve included beforehand and after pictures of my bumper so you can see.
Hell of an Entrance sir. Pics, information and on Topic.
What more can we ask for?

teesee150

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hate to bump an old thread but I'm looking for these as well. The ones from Classic Industries are for 1988+ OBS trucks and I don't believe they're the same.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I searched for a few months,