Smoked something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sikes185

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok guys. I am not an electrical person. I was doing some mechanical work up top when my shop light fell against the junction box and it grounded out and there was a pop and smoke right behind the passenger valve cover. Can’t find anything burnt in that area. There is no ignition. Electric fuel pump wouldn’t work. Like half the under dash fuse panel is down. Now then was under the truck at starter. Moved the wires on the starter and the pump came on and then off when I let the wires go. I figure fuseable link in that cluster going towards front of engine bay. In process of chasing that rabbit. Hard to do when you have neuropathy in the ole fingers. Makes things frustrating when dealing with thoughs little nut driver nuts. Am I on the right path with the fuseable link? You can see where it grounded on the post. No power at that box either side.

Attachments

• IMG_3703.jpeg
    IMG_3703.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3704.png
    IMG_3704.png
    480.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 33

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ok guys. I am not an electrical person. I was doing some mechanical work up top when my shop light fell against the junction box and it grounded out and there was a pop and smoke right behind the passenger valve cover. Can’t find anything burnt in that area. There is no ignition. Electric fuel pump wouldn’t work. Like half the under dash fuse panel is down. Now then was under the truck at starter. Moved the wires on the starter and the pump came on and then off when I let the wires go. I figure fuseable link in that cluster going towards front of engine bay. In process of chasing that rabbit. Hard to do when you have neuropathy in the ole fingers. Makes things frustrating when dealing with thoughs little nut driver nuts. Am I on the right path with the fuseable link? You can see where it grounded on the post. No power at that box either side.
Yep, two fusible links at the starter. There is also a fusible link that goes from that stud down towards the alternator. You probably smoked the fusible link from the starter to the fuse box for batt power(one is batt power and the other is ignition). You should be able to tell which one it is because when the fusible link blows the wire should swell. You can get a replacement fusible link section at any auto parts store for ~$10.

sikes185

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok I was hopping that would be it. About to crawl back under and chase that rabbit down. Thanks.

sikes185

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok guys. Thanks for the help. Here is a picture of what I found. You get 3 guesses and the first 2 don’t count.

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpeg
    IMG_3707.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko