Sm465 whirring noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steelburner83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
sm465 is making a whirring noise not sure where it's coming from just had the tranny and transfer installed new flywheel pilot bearing slave cylinder new clutch

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you push the clutch in does it go away?

CoMtGuy

Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
350 M Code
If you push the clutch in does it go away?

I have this problem, and for me... yes, the sound goes away, which makes me think the clutch throw out bearing is the problem?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have this problem, and for me... yes, the sound goes away, which makes me think the clutch throw out bearing is the problem?

Wouldnt it be the oposite. With the clutch disengaged the throwout bearing should be clear of the pressure plate. Mine does it too and it sounds to me like it's the input shaft bearing.

CoMtGuy

Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
350 M Code
Wouldnt it be the oposite. With the clutch disengaged the throwout bearing should be clear of the pressure plate. Mine does it too and it sounds to me like it's the input shaft bearing.

You may be right. The PO was the original owner, he said it made the noise since 30K miles, took it to the dealer 3 times and they kept telling him it was a normal 465 noise.... I bought it from him with 104K, put 4K on it since and it's still not broke, so maybe I won't try to fix it? :) It has a gooseneck hitch and he and I both pulled trailers with it and the sound never changes even with a car hauler behind it. Odd.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I bet money it is the pilot bearing. I bet they just left the old one in there instead of replacing it. I did this to my truck once. Yeah it made the exact same noise. It goes away with time. Like two months time. A long time. Never make that mistake again. I was young. Live and learn.

BTW- you want to use the bronze bushing instead of the roller bearing one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64