Signal, Brake and Headlight Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peyote Coyote

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello everyone. I got a new truck a couple weeks ago. I love it so far, but it's got some fun electrical issues I can't seem to pin down. I've fiddled with it for a few days now, but I'm stumped. Any help would be great.

Problems:

With the headlights off the left turn signal blinks on all four corners of the truck and the dash lights. The right rear seems a bit weaker then the left. With the headlights on the left signal turns the signals on, but doesn't flash.

Pressing the brake turns on the front signal lights as well as the brake lights. The problems seem related, but I'm not totally sure.

Things I've tried:

Grounds. I've cleaned and checked every ground I can find... Two by the radiator, frame ground, the one behind the dash, rear ground. Maybe there's one I missed?

Headlight switch seems to be working just fine. Signal light switch also seems fine. No obvious signs of damage or melting. Also I unplugged the signal switch and jumped the brake light and brake switch wires and the brake light issue stayed the same.

Fuses and fusebox look fine. Checked the fuses with a multimeter to be sure and they're all good.

Firewall connector looks kinda gross, but I poked around a bunch with the meter and there doesn't seem to be any power jumping into places it shouldn't be.

I've chased wires all over the truck looking for issues, but it all seems good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peyote Coyote

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got 'er fixed. Turns out there was a single filament bulb crammed into one of the brake light sockets. I don't know how the guy got it in there. The pins didn't even line up properly.

Replaced it a dual filament and all the problems vanished.

I feel pretty stupid for not noticing before I went ahead and ripped half the truck apart. Gotta learn the hard way sometimes...

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Screw that.
You figgered it out. AND, along the way you learned a lot AND very likely prevented future headaches (cleaned grounds).

Welcome to GMSB and show us some pics!

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
I got 'er fixed. Turns out there was a single filament bulb crammed into one of the brake light sockets. I don't know how the guy got it in there. The pins didn't even line up properly.

Replaced it a dual filament and all the problems vanished.

I feel pretty stupid for not noticing before I went ahead and ripped half the truck apart. Gotta learn the hard way sometimes...

These might make you feel better!

Had a neighbor with an S10 once who was sure his fuel pump had failed, had the truck towed home, did without the truck until payday, bought a pump, pulled the bed, pulled the pump,, and it was dry. Just out of gas. --BTW, The gauge worked fine.

Same kid who tried to start his riding lawnmower for a week, burnt up the starter standing beside and cranking it,, asked me to look at it and my first question was,, "Does it have a deadman switch?" - it did, he had forgotten over the winter. You should have seen the look on his face.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don