second battery for winch and light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hey guys I just threw on a 12000lb Warn winch (had a bad experience with Superwinch) and just waiting on my 52" roof mount lightbar, so im gonna run a second battery. The way I was told to do this was to run the positive terminal from my primary battery into an isolator, and the positive from my second battery into the isolator, ground my second battery to the block or frame (leaving my primary ground as is) and tie in my accessories onto the second battery. Also have to brand new batteries cuz i guess just one new one isnt a good way to do it

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yup and make sure the batteries you have are the same as well.

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
nice! yeah i went out and bought two identical AGM batteries

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And would probably be a good time to upgrade to a CS130 or CS144 alternator as well to ensure its pumping out enough juice.

This isn't one of those things you want to skim out on.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Depending on the isolator style, the batteries may or may not need to be the same.

If they were continuously hooked up in parallel (12v system @ double amps), the would need to be the same batteries to ensure that one isn't constantly draining the other.

If they're hooked up via automatic isolator or a switched isolator, you shouldn't have any issue running different batteries.

Circuit sounds fine.

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
so i had some horrible parasitic draw going on. had to head south for a week, came home to do some mudding and both batteries were stone dead. tried tracing the drain via multi meter and pulling fuses, monitoring the draw level. and the weirdest thing happened. my draw inceased as i pulled fuses. start was a draw of 2.3 amps and by the end it was up to 5.7. so i reran the batteries in parrallel + to + and ran - to - (as opposed to having my second batt grounded to the frame) and removed the automatic isolator from the equation. BOOM! draw dropped to 0.01. happy happy. other than the $175 isolator i bought that does seem to have worked, or i installed backwards if thats possible

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher