Searching for the right brake master cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is probably a dumb question. But I'm tired of getting junk parts so I had better ask, otherwise I'll end up buying the wrong thing.

I'm looking at replacing my brake master cylinder for the third time in 3 years. The Napa parts I've been getting are complete junk and end up rusting up, and leaking between the booster and MC. They do honor their "lifetime warranty" every now and then but I'm fed up with getting junk parts.

I gave summit racing a look and they have these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-2132nb-1
Probably not much better then the other but I figured it would be worth a try. They list this one as working with 3/8 fittings. My fittings are both the same size and take a 9/16 wrench with different size tubes. See the pic.

Will this work for my truck or is there a better option for where to get some quality parts?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211010_152238.jpg
    20211010_152238.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 60

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I'd say no.

Need to know a bit more about your truck (basics like model and GVW) but I'm guessing it's disc/drum.

That master looks like disc/disc or drum/drum to me.

And the size of the wrench used on the fittings doesn't have anything to do with anything.

I recommend you try again with your original type.

K

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd say no.

Need to know a bit more about your truck (basics like model and GVW) but I'm guessing it's disc/drum.

That master looks like disc/disc or drum/drum to me.

And the size of the wrench used on the fittings doesn't have anything to do with anything.

I recommend you try again with your original type.

K
It's an 83 k20. Disc/drum. GVW is 8600. After thinking about it the 3/8 on the linked MC probably refers to the 3/8 inch NPT threads that correspond to the fittings on the lines. I agree that the one I linked is probably not the best option for my truck but more so due to the 1" bore. I think I'd be better off with the 1.125" bore but thats more of a pedal feel kind of deal.

Since it should be warrantied through Napa I can see trying their junk parts again but id really prefer a MC that won't leak after one year of use. And so far they have not been able to provide that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1