sbc 305 will not start!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BISHOPC10

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well I was driving and started to smell something burning. I pulled over and it was my headlight dimmer switch wires. They had melted a lol but I pulled them apart til I get home. I go to start it and nothing!! Well I figured out I NEED a new ignition switch. I decided to arch the starter ( parked the wrong way in the street) well it wanted to started but wouldn't. Replaced the cap, rotor and module I have spark and fuel and still nothing:shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I assume you put battery power to the coil so you can have spark without an ignition switch? Fuel and spark is all you need basically, provided the plug wires are on correct and the distributor is still in time.

As for your burned electrical, you might want to check all the fusible links in your underhood harness.

BISHOPC10

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I never pulled the dizzy I put to rotor back on properly and wires. Changed all the fuses n fuse box the Windows will not roll up (the fuse is good) but horn and all outside lights work. What other fuses are there n location that can be solution.I dnt know they name of the device to look it up but it's right under the steering column it is a silver aluminium amp like box. What is this n the job it does

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Fuse link at the distribution block on the firewall next to the brake booster

Sent from the dust in front of you!

BISHOPC10

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Problem solved! Fusible link on fire wall. Copper wires burned in half but rubber wasn't n could not see it thanks a lot to both of yal!! 350runner and bucket

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No prob :) glad your back on the road.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Forum statistics