Rusty truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew-75c10

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got a rusty truck bed (who doesn’t). I got a 8 foot bed, and I was wondering the best way to start removing rust. I’ve heard people use an angle grinder to take it down to bare metal, but I’ve also heard of people using rust converter/ POR15.

I’m pretty sure I want to get it Rhino lined, but I wanted to hear recommendations on how to take care of that rust before I get anything done.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I guess one thing would be how bad is the rust? Any time you hit rust with a grinder there is risk of going through before you hit good metal. I've not used POR15, but would use POR15 next time I needed something like that based on what other have said. I have used rust converters available at the hardware store with good results. With that said, I've attacked this with both methods, but in general I go for the angle grinder only when it's really bad and I think I'm going to be cutting and pasting. Without knowing how bad the rust is, this is what I'd do if it was my truck. I'd hit it with a rust converter following the manufactures directions, then seal it up. Then I'd install a plastic drop in bed liner. Why wouldn't I Rhino line it, cause I don't like it, that and I've see to many peal when they get old, and the plastic drop in bed liner avoids being able to see any flaws, plus provides damage resistance when I fling wood in the back or haul rocks or gravel. But that's me plenty of guys love the spray in bed liners.

andrew-75c10

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice! I hadn’t heard about the the rhino liners pealing off. I’ll take a look at the plastic liners, that does sound like a good option.

I think I’ll try the rust converter this weekend. I’ll post some before and after shots!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice! I hadn’t heard about the the rhino liners pealing off. I’ll take a look at the plastic liners, that does sound like a good option.

I think I’ll try the rust converter this weekend. I’ll post some before and after shots!
Please I'd love to see your pics!

Another thing I'd say about bed liners. The spray in ones are textured and usually very slip resistant. Plastic liners can be anti-skid or smooth plastic. I'm hardly an expert on spray in bed liners, I just have had a number of trucks with plastic bed liners and my square is the first truck I've had with a spray on bed liner and I don't like it. I find it hard to clean without firing up the pressure washer and it's pealing up, which has me concerned about it rusting anywhere it can trap water. I'm sure the pealing is from an error when it was sprayed rather than the product itself. It's also not rhino liner brand, I can't remember the brand off hand but it has a tag on it so it was a professional install.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dropping the better part of $1000 on a sprayin liner would be about the last thing I’d spend that much on, on a truck like yours (from the picture anyway).
Rust “in” the bed could be anything from surface rust to don’t step there.
Regardless, whatever stage it is in, it’s had 45 years to get that far and you live in Sandy Eggo, so realistically how much worse could it get in the next however many years?

Why are you thinking expensive bed liner in a truck that looks like it could use a lot more work before spending that much on a bed liner?

andrew-75c10

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Why are you thinking expensive bed liner in a truck that looks like it could use a lot more work before spending that much on a bed liner?

I thought bed liners were closer to $500. Also, everyone I know which a truck has been recommending spray liners. My dad is the only one who has recommended a drop in liner, but I like that option.

My truck does need work - I’ve been focused on the mechanicals and electrical. I’m decently happen with out it runs, so I figured the next step would be tackling the rust. Always glad to get opinions on what to do next though.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You still didn’t describe the “rust”, is what I’m saying. And why it’s an issue in your locale. Seems backwards to me to “restore” the inside of the truck bed before the rest of the truck.
I am actually trying to help you prioritize work,if you will.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128