Rotted Firewall Seam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I found this exciting find today burried under some Bondo on my firewall. Was wondering if anybody has had to fix this and could offer advise. I can't find the replacement panel online anywhere. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's common rot area. Either does that an leaks into the compartment or seam fails and leaks internal to can. Mine did the latter.

I don't think there is a panel. I think your going to have to make a patch piece yourself.

Mine has one small spot that leads into the engine bay. But seam failed. I cleaned the seam as best I could. Painted with several coats of rust converter and painted it and out new seam sealer and then repainted it.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I'm going to cut out the rust and the make a panel to fill it in. What do you think about using silicone up above instead of the seam sealer? Look like I'll have to repaint the fire wall. We're the firewalls always body color or did they paint them black as well?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I'm going to cut out the rust and the make a panel to fill it in. What do you think about using silicone up above instead of the seam sealer? Look like I'll have to repaint the fire wall. We're the firewalls always body color or did they paint them black as well?
I used silicone in mine. It worked for about 8ish years then pulled away. I probably didn't clean it very well though the first time. My firewall was body color. But now it's not. My body is now green and the engine bay is OE brown like the truck came.

This time I took a screw driver, pryed all the loose out, wire brushed the inside of the cowl out as best I could. Sucked and blew it out . Then used rust converter type sealer stuff and did several coats letting it get down into that seam. Then I painted it with Rust-Oleum then seam sealer or seam sealer then more paint? I don't remember. Seam sealer can be applied over paid according to the tube. I used AC Delco sealer. I think it was only a few more dollars per tube than out door silicone. You sand the surface your putting it on like if you were painting. I did that filled the cowl seam up with a hearty bead of sealer. Smoothed it out best I could, let it dry and then put a few coats of Rust-Oleum brown over it (it's a cream color) to conceal it. It's in the cowl the paint color is close enough to my Brown and it's in the cowl. I don't have a show truck and never plan to. It lives under a shed and I almost always drive it on sunny days.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used Construction adhesive. It was recommend by some. It’s a mother trucker to spread. I cut mine out and formed some steel as close as I could get it.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10