Removing short bottom leaf from spring pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
So I have this idea of removing the shortest bottom leaf of my spring pack, for a softer ride. Would like to know if anybody has done this, and what were the results. I have the Procomp 6" lift springs, and they are incredibly rough riding with the 20" wheels & tire combo I have.
You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Won't make a difference on that 6-leaf pack. The bottom spring is so short it does nothing until the other five are sacked.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I just ran into a thread on a K5 forum, This guy said he pulled the shortest leaf(6th) and the 4th leaf. He states that the flex is exceptionally good for rock crawling, but too soft for on-road use. States he lost 1 1/2" of lift though.

Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just ran into a thread on a K5 forum, This guy said he pulled the shortest leaf(6th) and the 4th leaf. He states that the flex is exceptionally good for rock crawling, but too soft for on-road use. States he lost 1 1/2" of lift though.

I say give it a shot with pulling just the fourth leaf. Not sure if he was using the same Procomp springs or not. Each spring pack brand has different rates and will react differently. Being a rock crawler i bet he doesn't run a Sway bar, thus pulling the spring will make the thing have a ton of body roll. Its really your only option for the front without going custom or longer springs

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
OK, so I finally got around to removing the leaves from the PROCOMP pack. I removed the bottom two leaves, added a zero-rate add a leaf, 4 1/2" HD shackles from DIY4X(1/2" longer that my stock shackles) to compensate for the height after losing two leaves. To my amazement, after its all said and done, my truck is actually 1/2" higher in the front than what it was before. And I am so ******* impressed with the ride quality. It's like night and day! For reals! Its so much softer, that the truck actually feels like it's heavier when driving it around.

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Does anybody know what the torque specs on the shackles and front hanger bolts are?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Keep us posted on how it goes, like if they sag or not.

Torque spec is good-n-tight. I honestly don't remember, I always just crank them down to what feels right. With lock nuts and sleeved bushings, you have a lot of wiggle room.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Keep us posted on how it goes, like if they sag or not.

Torque spec is good-n-tight. I honestly don't remember, I always just crank them down to what feels right. With lock nuts and sleeved bushings, you have a lot of wiggle room.

Yeah that's exactly what I did, I just tightened them down nice and snug, enough to where it felt good. But I do remember someone on here saying there was a torque spec on them, because they gotta have some room to move. Thanks Bucket.
If my calculations are correct, I only lost the hight of the two leaves and maybe 1/8", by removing the two bottom leaves. I measured the truck before and after, and I'm still 5/8" higher that what it was bofore.
I've been driving the truck all day, and still can't believe the difference. I'll keep everybody updated on how it goes. I'm gonna upgrade the shocks now that I have suspension travel. I got these 8 year old Rancho shocks on there now, thinking about going with some Bilsteins. Also gonna order that sway bar disconnect/swivel gadget, never had a use for the sway bar before, glad I didn't toss it when i thought about it.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Here's a vid I took cruising down the freeway from Tucson to Phoenix a few days ago, after the 2 bottom leafs were removed from the packs. It was so nice to drive at 75 mph, and not have my hood shaking all over the place, feeling every crack, crevice and pebble on the asphalt. I would say its a major improvement in ride quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HtD0tcycNA&feature=youtu.be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones