Remove unknown lift on 84 gmc stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
how do i go about doing it? what will i need? i have 33 12.50 tires will those fit without the lift?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
they fit our 86 with no lift.

first off you need to know how it's lifted, springs only front and rear? blocks in the back? add a leafs only maybe?

most 4 inch kits you need shorter rear u bolt and remove the block, then stock front springs and remove the lift ones. some times brake line drop brackets are installed and you also have to change the steering arm if someone changed it like they should to a raised one, you need a stock one.

If the rear has leafs instead of blocks then you want stock rear springs to go back to stock.

why removee the lift though?

IMO you should list it for sale/trade for stock things, then get together and swap with someone who wants a lift and would give you the stock stuff from their truck in direct exchange or maybe some coin towards your pocket for your lift.

Also IMO I think it's be a good exchange to tell them, you can have my lift if YOU remove it and YOU remove your stock stuff and put it back on my truck.

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
Well the whole reason behind removing the lift is I like the stock height look, there are blocks above the rear axel but nothing in the front so I would assume that the front has lift springs so it shouldn't be too bad to remove then huh??? Have to start looking for some front springs in my area thank you for the advice it's greatly appreciated

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
front blocks are completely illegal to use.

you want stock front springs, you may be able to reuse the lift springs u bolts up front but if you can find a set of stock front u bolts just in case.

rear you just need stock u bolts.

see if the steering arm is a raised one if so you need a stock one, you'd basically have to get a picture or see if the end that the drag link bolts to is raised up higher then the knuckle side with the 3 studs. inspect the are where the brakes flex lines meet the hardlines to see if they used drop down brackets, those can be removed, then bolt the lines back up like stock, or they may have used longer flex lines, either leave them or get stock length ones.

sometimes depending on lift or year the transer case crossmember gets spacers put in betwen it and the frame, those can be removed.

If it's not 6 inches or more then it should have stock driveshafts and still work when the lift is removed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Got any pics of the truck? Most times someone can tell you what lift it has by seeing pics. It probably wont' have that much for 33's. Probably 4in at the most. Sounds like a Front Spring, Rear Block Lift. Do the front springs have a positive arch or negative arch? Negative Arch is stock. Positive Arch is an aftermarket Spring lift. Chances are, you can find someone with stock front springs that will trade you, and also trade rear U bolts with you. If I were closer, I'd swap with you and help you do it.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
the leaf springs in my 2" kit still have a negative arch, with 2" lift blocks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
the leaf springs in my 2" kit still have a negative arch, with 2" lift blocks

So you're saying it's 2in lift spring in the front, and 2in blocks in the rear? And even the 2in lift springs are still a negative arch?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17