Remove Catalytic Converter for Better MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
So I just found out that in NC I do not have to have an emmisions inspection for my completely stock 84 (305 v8, single exhaust) truck. Since I'd like to squeek every bit of mileage I can out of a gallon of gas I was thinking about removing the catalytic converter so it can breath easier.

Has anyone taken a completely stock engine and checked the difference in mileage before and after removing a cat? Any adverse side effects from removing it? I obviously don't want to bother crawling under the truck if it won't help.

Thanks,
Stepperado

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I haven't, but I am sure somebody on here has.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 93 K1500 and 260,000+ miles and it gets eighteen, with a straight through glass pack and the original convertor and 3" piping, I have not heard of anyone getting any better from these vintage pickumups with or without a convertor and or muffler.
Of course these are TBI engines but, I still have not heard of anyone getting any better mileage without the convertor.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
On my 88 burban I got two to three miles more a gallon better. But I also did true duals with flowmaster 40 series 2 1/2" all the way back. So it wasn't restrictive to my 350.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IMHO, the only good place for a pellet style converter is the scrapyard.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I heard that back pressure can = more mileage.. This is why running mufflers can actually be better than not on vehicles.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
I'll tell you what, I will take a dead stock 305 with factory style single exhaust and remove just the catalytic converter and no other changes. I'll figure this out and the we will all know! I can't get to it for a few weeks, but in the mean time I can get a solid average on the present mileage so the data is actually meaningful.

Then, I will take off the original smog pump/equipment to see what affect that has on mileage.

Finally, I will add a free flowing dual exhaust and check for improvements.

Hopefully all this will be done before gas prices recover to their previous level!

Stepperado

Last edited:

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Since honeycomb converters have been introduced, they have caused little restriction, unless clogged due to some kind of issue. The newest generation is better than ever.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Since honeycomb converters have been introduced, they have caused little restriction, unless clogged due to some kind of issue. The newest generation is better than ever.

True, but the converter in question is the old pellet type. Well, assuming. The OP said the truck was all stock and that's what GM still used on the trucks then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody