Rear Drums Rubbing on Backing Plates after New Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BryanC

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
As soon as I put new Wheel Vintiques 62 series 15x8 steel wheels and 31x10.50R15 tires on my 1974 GMC Suburban C1500, the rear drums starting rubbing the backing plates. The build sheet shows 1J55 Heavy Duty Brakes. Rear end just rebuilt with new Auburn carrier, axle bearings and one new axle.

It's been suggested I should change the HD drums to the regular ones. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
As soon as I put new Wheel Vintiques 62 series 15x8 steel wheels and 31x10.50R15 tires on my 1974 GMC Suburban C1500, the rear drums starting rubbing the backing plates. The build sheet shows 1J55 Heavy Duty Brakes. Rear end just rebuilt with new Auburn carrier, axle bearings and one new axle.

It's been suggested I should change the HD drums to the regular ones. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

Check the clearance between the drum and wheel it should only touch at the flange and not the edge of the drum.. Might need a spacer between the drum and the wheel.

carrier and axle bearings should have 0 effect. wrong axle? Axle length too short? Backing plate bent? If you change to standard drums you probably have to do the shoes and possibly other changes Need to find out what is causing the problem before looking for the solution. I would keep the hd brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar