question about front sway bar interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
and to add to my last post, through emails I told him I needed everything associated with the D60, plates, u-bolts(even though i will buy new ones, just wanted old ones to refrence) pitman arm and all steering linkage, we were in agreeance, but after I showed up there and we loaded it in my truck than he told me he was keeping the rest, I was able to talk him down quite a bit and really didnt want to drive 10 hours yesterday for nothing. all said and done I am just happy to locate and purchase to diff, I am tired of messing with the 10 bolt in my truck

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
and to add to my last post, through emails I told him I needed everything associated with the D60, plates, u-bolts(even though i will buy new ones, just wanted old ones to refrence) pitman arm and all steering linkage, we were in agreeance, but after I showed up there and we loaded it in my truck than he told me he was keeping the rest, I was able to talk him down quite a bit and really didnt want to drive 10 hours yesterday for nothing. all said and done I am just happy to locate and purchase to diff, I am tired of messing with the 10 bolt in my truck
you could have located a different front end from a different generation, not sure what that would be straight axle wise but i suppose youd have to work with non standard brakes then.. hmm.. well at least you got that. but still

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
you could have located a different front end from a different generation, not sure what that would be straight axle wise but i suppose youd have to work with non standard brakes then.. hmm.. well at least you got that. but still
A different gen GM, like a 67-72? 73-87 (ish) is literally 95% or more of the solid front axle GM trucks on the road or parts available. There's nothing newer, unless you start retrofitting Ford or Dodge front axles.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
A different gen GM, like a 67-72? 73-87 (ish) is literally 95% or more of the solid front axle GM trucks on the road or parts available. There's nothing newer, unless you start retrofitting Ford or Dodge front axles.
I actually did incidently figure that out after posting that.

That sucks. It be nice if you could just get a simple "it works" Package in a more modern truck that isnt a medium duty thing damn near. If you go too much older you run into an issue where axles are smaller/lighter duty because vehicles were not so big/things hadnt developed.

RIP

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I actually did incidently figure that out after posting that.

That sucks. It be nice if you could just get a simple "it works" Package in a more modern truck that isnt a medium duty thing damn near. If you go too much older you run into an issue where axles are smaller/lighter duty because vehicles were not so big/things hadnt developed.

RIP
I don't follow... This thread is about a D60 axle. Essentially the same size/weight rating as any newer Mopar or Ferd 3/4 or 1 ton truck front axle, all the way up to current models. Ferd and Dodge used D60s up into the early 2000s in some models (F450/550 as well). Dodge 1/2 tons are solid axle up to 2001. D44 I believe.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't follow... This thread is about a D60 axle. Essentially the same size/weight rating as any newer Mopar or Ferd 3/4 or 1 ton truck front axle, all the way up to current models. Ferd and Dodge used D60s up into the early 2000s in some models (F450/550 as well). Dodge 1/2 tons are solid axle up to 2001. D44 I believe.
Never mind.
I was trying to have a conversation, but that failed, the only thing I can manage to do anymore..

D60s are nice. Good job op.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I think some ford diffs from the late 70's will damn near bolt up, dodge has a wider perch spacing, and newer ones have the stupid style "unit" bearing or whatever its called, I think keeping it all GM stuff is the easiest way to get it upgraded and maintain it.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I think some ford diffs from the late 70's will damn near bolt up, dodge has a wider perch spacing, and newer ones have the stupid style "unit" bearing or whatever its called, I think keeping it all GM stuff is the easiest way to get it upgraded and maintain it.

78 & 79 Ford front 60’s are a direct bolt in.

King ping Dodge front 60’s will bolt in but it’s easiest with a special offset leaf spring bushing kit from ORD.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I ordered a set of top plates and a u-bolt kit from ORD, $44 dollar shipping, if I wasnt so tired I would of shopped around more and ordered elsewhere. I wont be paying that much for shipping again

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
everyone always forgets about the rear dana 60 that came on the f100 camper special, 5x5.5, semi floating, 4.10 gears. tsk tsk.

Not sure thats really helpful for much loll

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
now yer talking the language from the planet of ford, I'd have to change my name to jonny cash if I started putting ford parts on my chev.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28