Push button ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boothby1952

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hope all is well with everyone and y'all are prepped for all that white stuff coming soon. I have a question on installing a push button ignition (hidden) and have seen these installs using a relay and also without a relay. If one was to connect the push button between the solenoid and the starter, which would be the same as jump starting between those 2 positions, would that work or am I missing something?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If this is an antitheft device there are easier ways to do it such as a switch interrupting the ignition or starter circuit.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
If one was to connect the push button between the solenoid and the starter, which would be the same as jump starting between those 2 positions, would that work?
Yes.

I have two installs; one in my chevelle and one in my Grand Prix. The car got to where it wouldn't crank, so I turn the key to "on" and hit the push button to spin it.

In both cases I installed the push button where the cigarette lighter used to be, in the ashtray. Closing the ash tray hides the button.

K

Last edited:

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Yes.

I have two installs; one in my chevelle and one in my Grand Prix. In both cases the car got to where it wouldn't crank, so I turn the key to "on" and hit the push button to spin it.

In both cases I installed the push button where the cigarette lighter used to be, in the ashtray. Closing the ash tray hides the button.

K
Thats a good idea, all my squares,( but one, the wires are ran just aint put the button in) have buttons to start, cigarette lighter is a great place!
Probably get hung for this, but I just scotch lock to the red and purple wire, never given me a problem, and easy to "fix"

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hope all is well with everyone and y'all are prepped for all that white stuff coming soon. I have a question on installing a push button ignition (hidden) and have seen these installs using a relay and also without a relay. If one was to connect the push button between the solenoid and the starter, which would be the same as jump starting between those 2 positions, would that work or am I missing something?
Yes, and I'd say that is the traditional way of wiring up a push button start. Even better it is completely removable and you don't have to cut up your harness to install it.

Boothby1952

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info. Push buttons arriving today. One for the 78 and another for a winter beater Cherokee. Y'all have a great week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher