Pull 6.2 and 700r4 as a unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudewiththeblue82

Reaction score
First Name
Calin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I've got a 1982 c10 with the 6.2 diesel and 700r4 trans. Long story short the starter mount on the block cracked (unbeknownst to me the starter bracket was missing so the starter kept moving around while cranking), and I need to pull the motor to have the block welded. I hear the diesels have to be separated from the transmission before pulling, but I don't know how true that is. Has anyone here attempted this before? Thanks

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I've pulled them together using the factory motor hooks. I usually pull the front core support and have a jack helping the back of the trani. Don't know if I would want to try doing the old tip and slip in and out method with that combo.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
With the radiator core support out, I don’t see why it wouldn’t come out as a unit. Just make sure your crane is up for the job. The 6.2 is much heavier than a 350.

Ben

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've pulled them together using the factory motor hooks. I usually pull the front core support and have a jack helping the back of the trani. Don't know if I would want to try doing the old tip and slip in and out method with that combo.

Why not if the lift is strong enough and you have the headroom?
With the radiator core support out, I don’t see why it wouldn’t come out as a unit. Just make sure your crane is up for the job. The 6.2 is much heavier than a 350.

Ben
Does the 6.2 weigh more than a big block..? Like I mentioned above with Originalguy if the lift/crane is up to it why not? Even with the rad support in... lift the tail and/or crank the waddaya call it a load balancer. Those screw things that moves your connection point forward or back. Which btw is a tool that once you use you never want to do it again without!

Yeah tip and slip..! Initiate the tip right from the get go. Before the engine is off the mounts the tail should start to come down. Hydro wheeled floor jack works perfect under the tail and start lowering like I said as soon as the front is coming up.
If your engine crane is fixed then you have to pull the truck backwards and out from the hanging block/tranny. An engine crane on wheels needs a smooth level floor to roll backwards with the hanging jewels.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The 6.2 can come out by itself, unless the 700 also needs attention I'd leave it in. The last time I pulled a 6.5TD the truck needed fenders and a core support so I removed the entire nose.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have pulled a few 6.5's with manual 5 speeds. Unless there is a reason to remove the trans leave it in. Only had to remove the rad and hood. Yes, they seem to be heavier than a big block although I never weighed one.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
I've got a 1982 c10 with the 6.2 diesel and 700r4 trans. Long story short the starter mount on the block cracked (unbeknownst to me the starter bracket was missing so the starter kept moving around while cranking), and I need to pull the motor to have the block welded. I hear the diesels have to be separated from the transmission before pulling, but I don't know how true that is. Has anyone here attempted this before? Thanks
yes you can! :D

Attachments

• _DSC3298.jpg
    _DSC3298.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 59
  • _DSC3300.jpg
    _DSC3300.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 54

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
yes you can! :D
That is a "man" of an engine crane you have there! My engine stand and crane were screaming this past summer when I put a 6.2 in a Silverado K5. It had a broken crankshaft and it was aggravating getting the torque converter bolts out. Thankfully this was accomplished and I didn't need to pull the transmission too. It would have been terrible because it was also 4x4.

Strickland

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Remove the hood and drop the rear transmission mount and the engine/transmission will easily come out.
Even with the transfer case on it.
No need to pull the radiator support.
The 6.2/6.5 are roughly the same as a big block.
Done it many times.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
That is a "man" of an engine crane you have there! My engine stand and crane were screaming this past summer when I put a 6.2 in a Silverado K5. It had a broken crankshaft and it was aggravating getting the torque converter bolts out. Thankfully this was accomplished and I didn't need to pull the transmission too. It would have been terrible because it was also 4x4.

Strickland
this is a cheap $150 engine remover! ;)

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
82- so called "red block". Desirable 6.2l.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD