proper order to adjust valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Guys I've adjusted valves before, last time was on this engine I'm currently running, I did it when the engine was out of the truck, all I did was use the method of marking the flywheel and turning the engine a full revolution then adjusting each cylinder in an order I can't remember.

Anyways motor runs strong, put lots of miles on it, but I've had a slight ticking that I know is not exhaust. So I'd like to adjust them again.

I've read a ton of things about how to preload and all that, and that the preload should be set while the lifter is in the center of its stroke etc.

When I did mine last time I ran the nut down (it's a flat tapped cam) till I couldn't twist and turn the push rod anymore and then I think another half turn.

Anyways, I have one of those remote click start devices that you can use while in the engine bag to engage the starter to turn the engine.

What is the proper sequence of adjusting them? Like, is it 18436572 or is it just whatever cylinder the valve is closed on, and how do you tell when the valve is closed by looking at the springs? Obviously if the spring is decompressed the valve is closed but is there any more to it

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
engine cold
set tdc 1 and adjust certain valves
set tdc 6 and adjust the other valves

I use the up and down method for tightness.

I am on my phone but there is a image that shows the steps

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I use a valve cover with a hole and adjust while hot and running. Set to no tap and then 1/2-3/4 turn preload

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
2 roll valve adjustment:

Zero on timing tab with 1 TDC
Exhaust - 1,3,4,8
Intake - 1,2,5,7

Crank the engine one revolution to the zero mark, now 6 firing position;
Exhaust - 2,5,6,7
Intake - 3,4,6,8

Tighten nut until push rod cannot be turned with finger tip, and then turn 3/4 turn. No further adjustment is required.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have a momentary switch with a couple feet of separate wire and 2 gator clips, I put one on battery + and the other on the solenoid "key" side. Then pop off a cover and (of course with the key OFF) hit the button and crank the engine over till you see the the exhaust valve of whichever cylinder you're working on close, then just a half second longer. There is a longer duration from "exhaust valve closed" to "intake valve open" than vice versa. Then tighten till pushrod won't twist, then 3/4 turn more. Then on to next cylinder. I've done the other way too but I just have way too much **** to remember these days lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue