Power Window Relay Mod on Rear Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamba

Reaction score
First Name
Jarmo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer K5 Silverado
Engine Size
6,2 Diesel
I've built a few harnesses for the rear gate glass motors-you HAVE to run big heavy gauge wiring to the back as well as a stout ground to body and motor housing. Mounting the relays in the rear is ideal and recently I've added auto down to my rear gate glass harnesses-no more holding the damn switch lol.
1. Thick wires, ablolutely!!
2. About auto down, -how did you make it?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1. Thick wires, ablolutely!!
2. About auto down, -how did you make it?

I converted to relays then added a solid state module for auto down....I've been building auto down/up harnesses for awhile now for a lot of applications.

DotA

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I likewise had a thought to do this, and many thanks for your work to save me time doing it myself. :)

Got rid of the ground at 87a on both relays and everything works perfectly. I can say the window does go up and down faster but not by much. I'm talking only fractions of a second faster. I am using junk yard parts too so maybe the motor is all worn out. I'll have to see if a newer motor performs the same.

The way I test a motor, is by using a high gauge test harness to jump from the battery straight to the motor. This quickly verifies whether the motor is tired or the wiring needs refreshing. Incidentally, this is how I discovered that the rear window motor was intrinsically grounded. Imagine my surprise when I cabled up the positive (I generally always cable positive first) and the motor immediately started turning! Not only that, but the motor was *strong*, rather than the worn out thing I thought it was. This also incidentally proved the ground was solid, though I'm still inclined to run a ground strap.

I've built a few harnesses for the rear gate glass motors-you HAVE to run big heavy gauge wiring to the back as well as a stout ground to body and motor housing. Mounting the relays in the rear is ideal and recently I've added auto down to my rear gate glass harnesses-no more holding the damn switch lol.

+1 for checking grounds; especially on older rigs where everything grounds out through the body.

+1 for installing the relays in the rear and running a new high gauge positive.

+1 for insuring the new high gauge positive is fused. I'm personally putting a thermal breaker in-line instead -- like the stock, where if you overamp for too long the breaker pops, and then after "a while" will recontact so you don't pop fuses so much.

I'm looking to scavenge a connector set (both ends) from the wrecking yard so minimal modification to the existing harness is needed. Failing that, I'll get two complete sets of "some other" two wire, high gauge, weatherized connectors, and rewire the stock harness and the relays to use that instead.

The existing wiring to the tail gate will carry the switch voltage to the relays. I intend to install the relays in the driver side, rear quarter panel behind the interior panel. The wrecking yard male connector will plug into the female at the tailgate and go to the relay switch control inputs, and the female connector plug into the male connector at the tailgate and go to the relay load outputs (I'll have to double check, but I'm nearly certain that is correct). Obviously the high gauge positive goes to the relay load inputs.

If this new work needs to be bypassed, simply reconnect the original wiring back together at the tailgate (easily accessible, no tools necessary).

I'll post photos of my install when I get it done.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I know this thread has been dead a little while now but I was hoping someone could tell me the proper way to jump the rear window up or down using a battery and not the switches. A large portion of my wiring harness is out right now and is going to get replaced but for now I am wanting to just close the rear window when i move the vehicle in a couple of weeks. I can see the two connectors, one has a single wire, and then a third has a two pug connector. From what I can tell is the single wire connector is going to be hot for the rear window switch in the tailgate, then the dual is an up wire and a down wire. I'm planning on using my power probe connected directly to the battery, if that is the case would I simply need to ground the power probe negative lead to the body or a good ground on the tailgate (i have some bare spots for body working) and then apply my 12V + to one or the other wire on the double female connector?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I know this thread has been dead a little while now but I was hoping someone could tell me the proper way to jump the rear window up or down using a battery and not the switches. A large portion of my wiring harness is out right now and is going to get replaced but for now I am wanting to just close the rear window when i move the vehicle in a couple of weeks. I can see the two connectors, one has a single wire, and then a third has a two pug connector. From what I can tell is the single wire connector is going to be hot for the rear window switch in the tailgate, then the dual is an up wire and a down wire. I'm planning on using my power probe connected directly to the battery, if that is the case would I simply need to ground the power probe negative lead to the body or a good ground on the tailgate (i have some bare spots for body working) and then apply my 12V + to one or the other wire on the double female connector?
@1987 GMC Jimmy @chengny

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
i am looking at a suburban wiring diagram, which is all i can find at the moment, i have a 1985 K5, but it looks like the motor is grounded through the cassis, according to what I can see.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
i am looking at a suburban wiring diagram, which is all i can find at the moment, i have a 1985 K5, but it looks like the motor is grounded through the cassis, according to what I can see.
If it’s wired like a window motor it is. It just alternates power back and forth for direction. The 2 I tagged will be of more help then me.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
am I supposed to send him a message or what?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
am I supposed to send him a message or what?
No when they come on they will get an alert that they’ve been tagged and it will bring them to that post I quoted. Be prepared if @chengny replys you will get all you will ever need to know about the subject. The guy is a beast for information.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Gotcha... I'm just gonna send it and see if I let the magic smoke out of the motor.. If it goes then it just means I was meant to put a manual window in it, lol.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
It's been ages since I stuck my hand in there and right now its backed into my garage with not enough space to let the gate down and fiddle around proper. I'll be so friggin glad when my house is done and I can move all my garbage to one spot and not have to hide it after working on it. Currently in an apartment with multiple garages and while I could probably leave it out overnight one night I don't want to risk it and deal with the management people, lol.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The motor for the rear window is wired the same as front power windows; the motor must be grounded. The up/down is decided by which of the 2 wires feeding the motor is energized by +12vdc. The rear window will undoubtably operate with fewer 'hiccups' if you ADD a ground strap between the tailgate and the chassis or body.
I built one for mine with 2 relays, 1 for up and 1 for down with the GM Express Down module.
I have it out to install a new tailgate and if it's not raining tomorrow can stretch it out and take pix.
No room in the garage...too many 'toys'.

BTW: If you're going to add this gem to your squarebody, you can get the relays and express down module from the boneyard. Use the 30A relays (like you would use for the headlight upgrade) and the ED module can be had from '80's GM cars behind the drivers' door panel.

Attachments

• GM Express Down Window Module.doc
    398.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Looks like the magix smoke has already left the building, lol.... I was able to take it apart some and get the motor to twitch by grounding the body and then applying 12 volt to both of the spades but it wasn't even making a slight attempt so I suspected, by the amount of rust and dust coming out of the mounting screw holes there was probably garbage seizing up the internals. Sure enough the pin for the rotating assembly was seized on the bearing because of rust and debris. I cleaned it out a little and was able to get the stator to jump some when power was applied but the damage is done. I guess I'll just pick up a new motor

You must be registered for see images attach

When the magix smoke dries up!!!!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Applied power to each of the spades separately I meant, just FYI.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
OUCH!

GM 'Burb, Blazer, Jimmy and station wagons all use the same motor. Some have different drives tho. Some are gear driven and some are cable (speedometer type) driven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8