power steering pump specs?

which ps pump or solution would be best?

• use vortec era ps pump with a 'T' in return line

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tap vortec era reservoir for second return line

• combine parts from both (please explain in comments)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
new 4 wheel disc proportioning valve came today with some other stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

does anyone know the output of a 86 hydro boost 2 return steering pump versus a 96ish vortec era steering pump? I know the vortec pump can be run with two returns t'd into one, but I'm liking the dual return for capacity and it's intended purpose was hydro boost. I've pulled both pulleys and confirmed the shaft is the same diameter and length, so I can press the serpentine pulley onto either. they also both appear to have the same hole pattern on the pump itself. should I run the 86 pump with dual returns? should I tap a second return into the newer pumps reservoir? should I swap one pump into another reservoir? what combo would be best? I have a rebuild / o ring kit for both.

86 pump with three returns native to the hydro boost:

vortec era pump with a single return line:

the vortec era pump has the same mounting hole locations, so using the older dual return pump with serpentine brackets should not be an issue either:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I have a 96 model pump on mine with my serpentine setup and I cant tell a huge difference in output from the stock one. I think you should just buy a new one and use a 1996 C3500 with a 5.7 as the vehicle to look up. That will get you a hydroboost pump that will fit the bracket setup and has two return ports. Sometimes a T in the return can cause flow problems so if you're planning to buy a pump get one with two returns to make things easier on you...

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Oh and the old reservior wont be clocked correctly when the pump is mounted to the brackets. You can use your old pump in a 96+ reservior if you want but you need the one to match the bracket set.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have a 96 model pump on mine with my serpentine setup and I cant tell a huge difference in output from the stock one. I think you should just buy a new one and use a 1996 C3500 with a 5.7 as the vehicle to look up. That will get you a hydroboost pump that will fit the bracket setup and has two return ports. Sometimes a T in the return can cause flow problems so if you're planning to buy a pump get one with two returns to make things easier on you...
thanks! I was looking at ps pumps for a 3500 online, but the picture showed it with single and dual returns for the same part. I wasn't wanting to order the wrong thing. I'll take your advice and go with a 96 c3500.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
All 3500s have hydroboost so those were probably just stock pictures they use for everything

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sszcam