pickup dies when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig vaughn

Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500
Engine Size
I've been havin a small problem with my 1987 GMC Sierra Classic. It has a TBI 350. It's always started in the cold and ran fine until lately. It still runs fine once it warms up but after I initially start it it usually dies a couple times if I don't give it some gas. I've never had to do that before. Also, if I start it when it's not that cold out and shift into to gear right away it has been dying as well. Also, after driving it for 15 to 20 minutes my check engine light will come on, but only after running that long. Any ideas on what the problem is? It still runs and drives real nice once it warms up.
Thanks for the help.......

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I've been havin a small problem with my 1987 GMC Sierra Classic. It has a TBI 350. It's always started in the cold and ran fine until lately. It still runs fine once it warms up but after I initially start it it usually dies a couple times if I don't give it some gas. I've never had to do that before. Also, if I start it when it's not that cold out and shift into to gear right away it has been dying as well. Also, after driving it for 15 to 20 minutes my check engine light will come on, but only after running that long. Any ideas on what the problem is? It still runs and drives real nice once it warms up.
Thanks for the help.......

Mabey someone else will chime in with an answer.

But i know that whenever i start a vehicle wether it be TBI or carb. I always let it warm up a bit befor going anywere.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My first thought is the o2 sensor,second thought is the IAC valve.
Check the codes see what it says.
I`m still betting on the o2 sensor though.
I always allow My pickup to set and idle while I get the seatbelt buckled and a cigarett lit,check the oil pressure, put it in gar and away I go.No problems whatever driving with the engine cold but I always check to make sure the oil pressure is where it normally is on a cold engine before taking off,just drive a bit easy until operating temp is acheived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26