Overdrive questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, i dont think it has a 700r4, in hotrod's thread for identifying one, i dont have the numbers on the back passenger side of the transmission that should be there, no numbers there at all.
No clue what kind of transmission entirely.
Other than the number thing, it looks quite similar to the 700r4 (atleast on the passenger side)

For tires its got 33's, and the guy said a previous owner had put a lower axle ratio into it, he didn't know what ratio though.

And, the indicator goes:
P R N D 3 2 1

D i dont believe has a box around it, don't remember one and i'm almost certain it doesn't.
Above it, it says automatic overdrive, but it is not an automatic overdrive.

Any clues as to how i will know what transmission i do have and all?

D 3 2 1 is a 700r4 oD column indicator. I believe after 86 or 87 there are no numbers down by the pan. they are on a sticker on top of the bell housing. My 90' 700r4 has no numbers by the pan and coincidentally it is in an 84 currently

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just look at the pan a 700r4 is square. The th350 is square but with one corner at a 45

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Lockup feels like another gear. It allows the engine to ruin at lower rpm at cruising speed. Easiest way to test its to get up around 60. Lightly puts the brake pedal, does it feel like a downshift (do engine rpms go up)? Let off and see if it "locks up". If you dont feel a change then the trans isn't locking and can run hotter and burn up.

Sorry for this to be so long since then, but why would it not have lockup? I dont see the point in needing to test to see if it does have that since all mustve come with that, so that no one would be burning up their transmissions

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Sorry for this to be so long since then, but why would it not have lockup? I dont see the point in needing to test to see if it does have that since all mustve come with that, so that no one would be burning up their transmissions

If it was originally a 3 speed and someone installed a 700r, you might not have the wiring for the lockup hence the simple test. The test really does work well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
If it was originally a 3 speed and someone installed a 700r, you might not have the wiring for the lockup hence the simple test. The test really does work well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ohhh ok, and so when shifting into ovedrive, how do you do it so that it doesnt go highe than that? Like, so you dont hit neutral and hit reverse, how bad is that? Havent done it, just wondering as when i go to shift i get scared of that.

And where would i find this wiring? Where would it go to the transmission?

Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

The lock up is the torque converter engaging clutches so that there is no slippage in the torque converter it essentially is the same as engaging the clutch on a manual transmission there by creating a direct drive of the engine to the transmission. Normally the torque converter slips to allow different speeds between the engine and transmission. This is how when driving down the road and applying throttle the engine revs and creates power with out the vehicle instantly increasing in speed. You go up a hill and step into the throttle, the engine revs higher but the vehicle stays at the same speed. This is due to the converter slipping.

The Torque Converter Clutch(TCC) is controlled electronically and engages at higher speeds in 3rd or and 4th gear only. The TCC engages to create a direct drive, increasing fuel economy but also and most importantly reducing heat build up caused by friction of the torque converter slipping. This is crucial to have the TCC functioning when using OD as there is huge amounts of heat generated with the 30% OD. Or 30% more effort required then 1:1

So if the TCC is not hooked up or functioning then I would not use OD at all until you get it wired or functioning properly.

You must be registered for see images attach

It may have the lock up wired up if buddy knew what he was doing or it may have been ignored all together. You just never know until you check

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76