On-Board Air Compresssor ?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
HotRod has a pump, tank, and locker. All he needs are a few bits to assemble it and call it a day. But you know HRPC, he starts thinking "Hey, I could add a ..." and then his easy little project becomes a big expensive pain in the ass.

Let me save you some trouble HR, I'll take that locker off your hands.:anitoof:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I actually prefer the air tank setup for use off road. I have removed it several times to help others stuck out on the trail. The air tank setup it virtually foolproof...no electricity needed, portable and it holds so much psi. Once you purchase the tank...it is yours and welding supply shops recertify the tank every few years. If the cert is out of date, they replace the tank with a new one. I also remove the regulators when transporting the tank so they don't get damaged...or worse break off and cause the tank to become a missle.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Even with just a kegerator size tank he would have plenty of reserve and enough to run horns and his locker go up a couple sizes and have more for tire air up. His compressor fails and well that would be more then a tank refill plus no electrics to go bad. Them kegoraters are usually easy to come by for the adjustable regulator.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
HotRod has a pump, tank, and locker. All he needs are a few bits to assemble it and call it a day. But you know HRPC, he starts thinking "Hey, I could add a ..." and then his easy little project becomes a big expensive pain in the ass.

Sounds like all he needs is a check valve and pressure switch...oh and a relay

my last K5 had an ARB locker. It was great and never left me stranded. The only drawback was the initial investment for all of the pieces to make it functional.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If you have any brands or part numbers for relays post 'em up. I went to the auto parts counter and ended up paying $20 for one. It would have helped if I knew exactly what I was looking for.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Nope, not gonna let that happen, although your right. I tend to mind phuk myself on some things trying to make them better. But not here. I know I need the air, so I'm thinking Air Locker, Air Horns and Air Up when I leave the trails only, not a completely empty tire. Though I would like to carry a plug kit and if I can inflate a complete tire that would be nice. But, no not going for running air tools or anything like that.

Thanks for the math on the rollbar. I'd have eventually got there, but being as expensive as that would be to build and make sure it's air tight and such, and not be worthy, then maybe just skip to plan B. With a bigger tank and compressor. And again, I know where are a couple of salvage freightliner rollbacks that were air brake trucks that have tanks and an engine mounted air pump. :shrug: Not sure that's worthy either. Having to set up a pulley for it, or an electric motor to run it. :shrug: Could be another option though. No hurry. First things first.

I will have to check into this compessor smoothandlow brought up. I do have a 4 gallon tank too. The nice thing though, on the zero budget I have, I think this Firestone compressor will work for the locker with a the 2 gallon tank. So I can add that pipe dream later. In fact, I can install the axle now and don't even need air. It'll just work as an open diff until I get the air situation figured out.

88burbboy

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I run a Puma 12v air compressor. Part number is PD-1006. I run 37"s and use it for quick bursts of use with 3/8ths air tools. If you do an internet search for the puma, you will find a ton of guys using it. It comes with a 1.5 gallon tank but you can easily separate the tank and motor. I got mine new at a swap meet for 180$ but you can find them online (ebay) as well. I have had mine for about 6 months now. I have it set up hard mounted in my suburban but its also removable and on anderson connectors, so I can use it with other vehicles on road trips. Give it a look and make your own decision.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
If you buy a VIAIR setup keep in mind you can get them for way cheaper on amazon

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I run a Puma 12v air compressor. Part number is PD-1006. I run 37"s and use it for quick bursts of use with 3/8ths air tools. If you do an internet search for the puma, you will find a ton of guys using it. It comes with a 1.5 gallon tank but you can easily separate the tank and motor. I got mine new at a swap meet for 180$ but you can find them online (ebay) as well. I have had mine for about 6 months now. I have it set up hard mounted in my suburban but its also removable and on anderson connectors, so I can use it with other vehicles on road trips. Give it a look and make your own decision.
I love love love Anderson connectors. Every truck should be outfitted them front and rear of the truck. You can use them for air compressors, winches and even make a nice set of jumper cables to either give jumps or receive jumps at both ends of the truck without even opening the hood. Most tow trucks have Anderson connectors for jumper cables at the battery box usually under the driver step to get in the truck or at the rear of the truck. Comes in handy giving jumps in parking lots where you can't get a truck beside a vehicle. I've got 2 sets of jumper cables that are 25 foot long and of Size 0 cable with high end clamps. One set has a bad clamp and I fully intend to cut the clamps off that end and put an Anderson Connector.
For winches, you can set your winch up to use receiver hitches to mount the winch and then plug it in to your Anderson connector and use your winch at either front of rear of your vehicle.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I carry a Superflow MV50 compressor with me. I've used it a lot to fill up by 315s. It gets quite hot, takes over 5 minutes a tire and the current draw messes with my Edlebrock EFI (surging at idle).

I'm getting some 37s, and was about to buy a VIAIR 440P ($290), then a second Odyssey battery ($230), and a battery isolator ($65)...

Instead I bought a CO2 tank. One of the other local guys in the off road club has had one for years. He fills up his 39x16.50s before I even finish my second tire.

He has the 20lb tank, I bought the 15lb tank on sale. Supposed to fill up 37s about 21 times and 50 seconds per tire. A local fire extinguisher shop will refill for $25. If you have a 1/2" impact they say it can remove 540 lug nuts.

I just mounted it today to a spare tire mount I bought at LMC (along with a new driver side floor).

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've got a co2 tank with regulator and nylon coil hose with a milton fitting.Its pretty effing cool. But for guys with lesser demands the home brew shops fill the little co2 tanks,dirt cheap.The bigger ones like mine the welding shops around here exchange them so you don't get your tank back, thus no recertification costs.When they expire the welding shop recertified them. You might check in to
How your local welding supply shop handles things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400