oil presure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
my oil presure gage does'nt work can i replace the original with one at a parts store this thing has sort of a cage around it i picked one up from e-bay but it has 2 poles up top where mine has only one thanks roy

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you get the switch or the sending unit(sensor)? They made a few different ones, some trucks have two, a two terminal oil switch and a sending unit.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
i removed the exisiting one off the driver side engine block, it had a metal cage surrounding it with one terminal i had to put it back what i purchased wasn't the same it had 2 terminal's also the thread size was not the same..

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
i removed the exisiting one off the driver side engine block, it had a metal cage surrounding it with one terminal i had to put it back what i purchased wasn't the same it had 2 terminal's also the thread size was not the same..

What you bought was this

You must be registered for see images attach

What you need is this

Some trucks take both. These units can either go on the passenger side or on the top rear of the motor.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
the single terminal is the one i need where can i get a replacement

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im very fimiliar with them, The switch you need cost about $32 give or take a few bucks at oreilys, Some did have two factory in a brass coupling, the one you bought is probably the 7or 8 dollar switch, they have a few but theirs only one big one, its got that one terminal, the other switch is for the electric choke and if you have a oil light instead, but the big one is for the gauge, Ill try to get a part# for ya.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Im very fimiliar with them, The switch you need cost about $32 give or take a few bucks at oreilys, Some did have two factory in a brass coupling, the one you bought is probably the 7or 8 dollar switch, they have a few but theirs only one big one, its got that one terminal, the other switch is for the electric choke and if you have a oil light instead, but the big one is for the gauge, Ill try to get a part# for ya.

I would like to saw one of those apart just to see how they are built.

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I found a few on oreillys website, I usually go there as they commonly have more things available,. They have two thread sizes, fine & coarse, ones $21 & the other is $23, The part numbers in their MPI series brand is 2-8136 (coarse thread) & 2-8138 (fine thread), hope it helps, one of them should be fine, I mostly use acdelco parts but if they dont have it or the rite one I go with their parts, good quality, decent prices, and they have alot available.

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol, I thought about that myself considering that alot of parts stores ask 45-50 bucks for them, you'd think the damn things are gold plated;-)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would like to saw one of those apart just to see how they are built.

Me too. I wish I had a milling machine to do some dissection of some stuff and take pics.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks T Rod I check them out tomarrow and let you know, thanks again roy

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Last edited:

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nice, Im guessin its also got a spring in there somewhere to vary the resistor when oil pressure goes up, looks like it has a separate resevoir for the oil pressure where the threads are, then the top is just a can that protects the resistor thats moved by a rod and then into the terminal, I guess I could see $25-$30 part in that lol.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well i attempted to replace the sending unit but it was to close to the engine block couldn't get the thread to line up. backed out the tube that connects to the block but the tube was a little to loose for my liking. i'm going to get a longer tube with a coupler and attatch the sending unit to it moving out ward a 1/2" away from the bloc or so the replacement unit is a little wider than the original

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06