NP203 PSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
So, little story about what I did today that could have been disastrous. I’m going to start off with the fact that this is my first truck with the 203 transfer case. I do know the workings of a 203 and how they do what they do. I’m also ASE master certified and been a mechanic professionally for 20 years and have been since a kid. This is not to try and blow my own horn, but to get the point across that this can happen to anyone.

I had to change a leaking front pinion seal today on my 76. My garage was full so I did it in the parking lot area which is on an incline. I went in under the truck from the front with all the tools I needed to do the job. I pulled both u-joint straps off, used a small pet bar and popped the driveshaft out of the yoke. And just like that, the truck was off going down the hill. Thank god I went in from the front of the truck, it sits high enough for me to fit under the axle and no one else was around. But damn didn’t that truck take off fast. I let it run over me,(thankfully not up and over me) I got up and ran as fast as I could to catch it. Got the drivers door open and slammed the brakes about 10 feet short of smashing into a tractor I had at the edge of the yard.

I should have used a wheel chock no doubt about it. Should use one every time just because but I didn’t. Just wanted to share my story of just a small oversight that could have had major repercussions. Be careful guys.

Ben

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
That's definitely something that could be easily overlooked, as you assume it's locked in 4x4 all the time, so there's no way it could roll.. right. I always use blocks now, ive had a few jacks roll out or sideways on me, only happened working out in a field or on the side of a gravel road.

That's why I always try to find the flattest spot as possible. But that's not always an option. Glad you're okay! Lucky you can fit under the axle, and you went in that way, that would of hurt getting rolled up by that.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Praise the Most High you are okay. Thanks for sharing though - this is an oversight a lot of times. Was under mine today tinkering with the fuel filter on the side of the road and didn't even throw my hazards on like an idiot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84