NP 203 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Franken Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an np203 transfer case but it wont go in lo range... its just grinds and makes some hellashish noise any ideas??

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Explain, like a grinding noise going from neutral into gear? or what...
If your tranny is in neutral, Put the tcase in neutral, then you push the gear selector into the low range, yes it will make noise, thats normal. But to much noise is questionable. But yes, my 203 makes noise when going into low, you just push it into low and it stops.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have an np203 transfer case but it wont go in lo range... its just grinds and makes some hellashish noise any ideas??

Manual or Auto Trans? You're at a complete stop while trying to get into L? Auto trans in N? Manual Trans in N and clutch depressed or up? All of this makes a difference. Oh, and how are you holding your mouth? You have to hold your mouth right too or the Tcase won't synchonize.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Shifting these things can be a bitch once the shifter gets slop in it, I had to have the truck rolling a little forward or back, hit neutral on the transmission then quickly try to shift the t-case. It's a matter of synchronizing everything up which I think is why with the truck rolling a little it would slip into high range easier. Also I know it sounds silly but make sure your tires are the same size all around and you're not trying to do this on hard pack or blacktop. Any difference in tire height will cause binding between the front/rear and hard pack/blacktop just wont let the tires slip any to alleviate the bind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512