Noob here looking for help deciding wether to purchase a new crate motor or do an engine re-fresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
So how would you know if my engine was a stroker??

Btw. The car that sticker goes with sounds pretty nice, an 86 cutty with an ls3. :drool:

Probably couldn't if the original block was rebuilt as a stroker, although, if the idle was at all lopey it may/would make them be more scrutinizing.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
So how would you know if my engine was a stroker??

Btw. The car that sticker goes with sounds pretty nice, an 86 cutty with an ls3. :drool:

If the engine came in looking stock and nothing raised any suspicions, we wouldn't ever know or have any reason to look into it further. Many of the illegal engine changes are blatant, in your face kind of thing. The air cleaner, valve covers, etc. say 383 and the customer proudly shows us his receipt for the 383 crate motor bragging about everything. Also, you should wait until after your referee appointment to put the big lopey camshaft in. If it's loping, the tech will look / ask for the CARB executive order number.

As for the cutlass, it was nice. I'll see if I can round up a pic.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
@gotyourgoat - I was able to get a couple pics from the tech that worked on the custlass. It looks pretty sweet and very fast. They put the GM Performance E-Rod 6.2 in it. Complete kit from GM and smog legal in 1995 and older vehicles. I'd put one in my 75 stepside but the $10,000 price tag is too steep for me.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg