No power at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
thanks guys, i will work through these suggestions.

i assumed the battery is ok as everything worked til it didn't. i didnt get any slow cranking or indication the battery was going bad. first thing i did was pull the battery water level plugs out and inspect and there was possible one low cell but not obviously low. i put my digital charger on it and it immediately read 55 and then charged to 95 no problem. today, since the last time i tried to crank it it clicked a little longer duration and it thought it sounded strange. it didnt sound like it was going to turn over or anything but the duration of the clicking sound was definetly drawn out longer. I put the charger back on it and it started at 75% but it hasnt been used siince yesterdays 95% charge. maybe its just a bad battery???? i hope thats not all it is after all this!!!!! i will take it in tomorrow for testing.

The battery posts are spotless. The batteries warranty is up end of this month. It is an ORileys battery that was bought last january. sticker on it reads 1/23.

I will find and clean the ground from engine block to body. If that dont solve it, i will buy/install the ignition switch.

Thanks again guys, i really do appreciate it. Im having to share a car which is no big deal but....

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If it clicked but didn't turn over, you have a starter solenoid issue.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Today's batteries aren't as long lived as those in the past.. Whan a battery , no matter the warranty, reaches 2 years old, it's nearing it's normal life span. It can be good yesterday, and today be totally dead.. Consider yourself lucky if you get 4 years from a battery. Any more than that is a "blessing from God"...

I bought a battery for my truck in December, 2017.. All these years, it has provided good service, no symptoms of future problems. Last week I noticed the belt was becoming a bit frayed so I drove the truck to the parts house and bought a replacement.. I installed it the next day and when I tried to start the engine --- nothing... No clicks, lights, horn --- nothing.. Battery was almost totally dead. DVM indicated about 5 volts.. Tests indicated no issues that would drain the battery, so I put a very slow charge on it for about 10 hours.. At the end of that time, the battery was still dead.. New 800 CCA battery cost me a little over $100..

Batteries are famous for doing that -- dying without any cause.. This is usually triggered by a "cold snap" in the weather..

If you've checked all the possible causes of your problems, including alternator output. consider the possibility, even though the battery is not very old, that you have a bad battery.

Last edited:

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Ok, i got a brand new battery. $189 for the cheapest that had 800CCA

i put in the new ignition switch. total bitch in that tight place but i got it done.

neither of those things helped. exact same result. 1 dash light comes on, then i turn the ignition and a click happens and then everything goes dark and no power whatsoever.

i will look for the body to engine ground next to clean.

when i took the starter off and in to O Rileys to have it tested...they bench tested it and it started/ran up to high rpm. maybe because it wasnt under any load???? or do you think it could be my wire to the solenoid? is there supposed to be a fusible link in the small wire that goes to the small solenoid terminal? mine didnt have that. there were multiple that went to the large terminal stud.

im baffled. i'll check the wires/connections again.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Ok, i got a brand new battery. $189 for the cheapest that had 800CCA

[1] I turn the ignition and a click happens and then everything goes dark and no power whatsoever.

[2] is there supposed to be a fusible link in the small wire that goes to the small solenoid terminal?
[1] This is a classic symptom of a loose or bad connection on one of the battery cables. Check both ends of both cables for cleanliness and tightness. If your cables have those replaceable ends that clamp to the bare cable end, this could be your problem.. They are pure unadulterated JUNK.. Get rid of the cable and replace with new. {EDIT} Here's a link to the terminals I'm talking about.. https://www.temu.com/subject/n9/goo...g购物_US_ROI_兜底_all批次_PC_new&adg_ctx=f-43bacdf5

[2] This question was answered in a previous post.. If you're speaking of the purple wire -- NO, there is no fusible link on this wire..

I sent you a private message. Did you read it??

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Hi Rusty, no i missed your PM. i read it now and responded.

Lift3d1

Reaction score
First Name
erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I cleaned the ground at rear of engine block that attaches to the firewall. Made no difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man