No Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortbedchev

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350/sm465/np208
The heat dont work in my 87. The blower motor works and comes on but the air is cold. I've put a thermostat and heater core in it and still nothing. The motor runs at normal temp but it does go down quite a bit when i turn the heat on. Any ideas what I should be looking for now?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Make yourself a grille cover out of card board or plastic that will block 75 - 80 percent of the grille openings. To keep things simple you can use bungee cords to hold the cover in place.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Are the lines running to the core hot?

Does the damper door work?

I had my core rebuilt and it is freaking hot in the cab w/o blocking the radiator

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Good question, seriously- I wish more posters would include detail like you did.

Blower is running - eliminate electrical.

Changed t-stat and heater core. We can eliminate lack of hot water supply and a fouled heat exchanger. Hopefully - disregarding any "bad out of the box" issues.

The motor runs at normal temp but it does go down quite a bit when i turn the heat on.

The fact that engine coolant temp drops noticeably with the blower in operation would eliminate flow restrictions in the heater core's supply and return hoses. Also confirms proper heat exchanger function.

The only other things you could have mentioned was whether there was a significant difference in the temperature of the hoses (supply hot/return cool) and that you had popped your radiator cap and confirmed lots of coolant gushing into the outlet tank from the return nipple.

Anyway, it seems that plenty of BTU's are being delivered to the cab's air-handling system. But the air-handling system is not delivering those BTU's into the cab:

The first reaction to improper temperature from the vents is generally; "blend door problem". Might as well start there - it's easy:

Look under the dash - behind the glove box. You'll see the plenum. Assuming you have A/C, it will look like this (the red line is supposed to be the cable to select hot or cold):

You must be registered for see images attach

Make sure the cable is attached, anchored in it's bracket and can move freely.With the temperature lever in full hot, the crankarm should be all the way to the left (IIRC - you'll figure it out):

You must be registered for see images attach

One way or another, get it all the way to HOT and see what happens. Come back and report your findings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76