New truck, no power!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spitfire_er

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just picked up an 84 k10 silverado. Previous owner claimed it was running and then he crossed the battery terminals and sparks flew. He had no idea beyond that. While I haven't had time to check the fuseable links, this is my first step. When I was looking at the truck today I noticed no wire connected to the fuse block on the left terminal. Isn't there suppose to be a wire here from the starter?

Right side terminal ( looking from the front) has a bad wire completely stripped of insulation. This will be replaced with what I believe was suppose to be a fuseable link.

No power to anything currently. Just installed a new starter and battery along with a new Neg. Main cable.

Thats as far as I've gotten.

Also wondering where the large red wire goes coming out with the small harness on passengers side firewall near heater.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You know you’re in for a challenge when there’s melted wires and wire nuts already involved!
Sweet truck. Not too shabby for a rust belt vehicle. Looks really well cared for save for the shadetree sparky issue.
I don’t have the wiring memorized but you’re on the right track and a wiring diagram will make it pretty clear.
However I believe the fusible link is in the bigger (8 ga?) red wire coming from the starter and the same size wire out the other side goes to the fuse panel to power it. But it’s been about 30 years since I’ve worked on a square electrical system.
Idk if this pic helps at all but…

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
All of those burnt looking wires going towards the passenger side are for the heater blower.
One large wire that goes TO that terminal block comes from the starter solenoid and is a fusible link.

spitfire_er

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, I have to replace most of the heater wires. And there is that red one that is just long enough to reach the block with an eylet on the end.

I'm hoping that the wire (hooked to the same terminal as + from starter will fix it. It's toast. Looks like that wire feeds the fuse block and it has the wire nuts. Ill start there.

I checked out the wiring diagrams but match that to the truck isn't always straight forward.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. The wires look crispy. I would look into finding replacement sections if you can. Nice find BTW.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Might want to consider pulling the alternator and having it tested before you connect power. A friend was having a battery replaced and the repair guy hooked it up backwards, it cooked the alternator and a few other parts.

spitfire_er

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was able to find the main problem. Wire from fuse block to fuse panel was completely toasted to bare wire and melted into both wire nuts on each end.

Picked up a 16ga fuseable link and temporarily installed it with wire nuts to test. I will solder them in. I now have power to the lights. I don't have a radio and don't dare hook up the heater yet.

After lights were checked, bumped the key and we have ignition! Splashed a little fresh gas in the carb and it did fire up, then shortly died.

I'm sure I have plenty of stuff to fix yet, but my goal is getting it running and driving first.

Next problem will be getting gas. I'm scared that it may have sat for a few months with ethanol fuel in it. Mechanical pump looks fairly new. Might have to start a new thread.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yes, build threads are appreciated and it'll be great to watch you fix the body ventilation package she came with. Just remember not everyone comments, but a lot will follow along. Someone just mentioned fog lights and I see your air dam is already modified for them so win there. Fuel system is an easy weekend project if you have to do it. Just buy your parts in advance and have the proper tools. Rebuilt my fuel system to CMA and just had my Q-jet rebuilt thanks to @SirRobyn0. Glad you joined and have had early success. Welcome to the addiction lol.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes, build threads are appreciated and it'll be great to watch you fix the body ventilation package she came with. Just remember not everyone comments, but a lot will follow along. Someone just mentioned fog lights and I see your air dam is already modified for them so win there. Fuel system is an easy weekend project if you have to do it. Just buy your parts in advance and have the proper tools. Rebuilt my fuel system to CMA and just had my Q-jet rebuilt thanks to @SirRobyn0. Glad you joined and have had early success. Welcome to the addiction lol.
That's me. Dave, Hope it is going well with the paint guys. I pull my tranny next week in my truck, trying to decide if I wanna start a thread on it so anyone that wants to can follow along. I do actually have a terribly out of date build thread so maybe I'll just use that....

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria. Get a new wiring harness from Painless, American Autowire or whatever company is out there and makes good harnesses.
It's faster to put in a new harness than finding all bad parts in the wiring and you don't have to fear that your truck burns to the ground in your driveway or on the highway.
Just my 0.02$

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84sqbdy