new truck new problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csanderlin

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
idk
i just looking at a 76 k10 with a 400 well owners is saying the engine needs cylinder number 4 need oil ring replaces that it is makeing oil fouling out plugs i was wondering how big is it to replace. first time with older v8

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Its a big job. If it was a bad valve guide you could pull the head while the engine is still in the truck and have the head rebuilt. Since it is a lower end problem you are most likely going to rebuild the engine. You need to do compression checks to see if all the cylinders including #4 have good compression.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience so to answer your question you are going to have to pull the engine.

csanderlin

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
idk
i have done 4 engine swaps with different jeeps i bought and flipped but this first messing with v8 would it be easyer to just find a good 350 put in place of 400

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Do some research.... Dig into it and find out what's wrong with it for yourself. It's always best to assume that the previous owner is a total moron. Could be just the oil drain holes I'm the heads gunked up, causing oil to back up in the valve cover, then getting into the cylinder from a worn valve guide. Pull the valve covers, and put a leakdown tester on it, that will tell you right where your problem is.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
never believe previous owners. I have learned that mistake with vehicles in the past. Always check for yourself and find the route of the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman