New Feller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hello, I just bought my first squarebody. Its a 1976 GMC K25 High Sierra with a 400sbc and a th350, 91,000 miles which I believe to be the original miles. The first two owners were hobby farmers so it has stayed in good condition. Everything works except the AM radio and hazards. I am new to this era of vehicles and carburetors in general, so I am sure many of my questions will seem stupid. I do have a two questions at the moment, Firstly I was told by my mechanic after I bought the truck that when you start driving these trucks around that their motors will blow, is that true? And if not how reliable is a stock 400sbc? Secondly my trucks bed has the fuel doors, were those available in 1976?

You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Nice old truck..Welcome to our zoo..

Did "your mechanic" elaborate as to why the engine will blow?? Did he find some problem areas?? Was he trying to sell you another engine?? 91K is a lot of miles, but depending on how the miles were applied and the care given the truck, that's certainly no reason for the engine to give up.. Probably, he was just cautioning you against hauling ass off road with a 40 year old vehicle without doing some preparatory work first. That would apply to the whole truck, not just the engine..

Starting in 1973, GM removed the gas tank from behind the seat and mounted it to the frame and placed access doors on the bed sides.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
The only problem that we came across is that when idling the oil pressure drops, he said its probably the engine starting to go out. I have also heard that it is just what they do.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome. What oil is in it and are you relying on the factory dash gauge? When was the oil changed last?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The bed on yours may have been swapped with a later model one. Iirc, the fuel fillers got doors over them around '78 or so. Prior to that the fill cap was right at the outer sheet metal.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Welcome. What oil is in it and are you relying on the factory dash gauge? When was the oil changed last?

I am relying on the factory gauge, I am not sure what oil it has, or when the oil was changed but judging by the way the oil looked it had been recently changed.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, clean truck.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
The bed on yours may have been swapped with a later model one. Iirc, the fuel fillers got doors over them around '78 or so. Prior to that the fill cap was right at the outer sheet metal.

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the clearing that up, I had been arguing with people about it. lol

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My 78 has just caps no doors. Nice truck and welcome and theres no such thing as stupid questions. U never know till you ask. And i wouldnt trust factory oil gauges, ive never had one correct.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I am relying on the factory gauge, I am not sure what oil it has, or when the oil was changed but judging by the way the oil looked it had been recently changed.
I'd blob a manual gauge to it those OEM gauges can be flakey. I'd also do an oil and filter change using 15-40 and an AC filter and see if that doesn't change things.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

Instead of relying on what mechanics, POs and others have told you about your truck, I suggest you take a day or 2 and put your truck on jack stands.. change the engine oil and filter, same for the transmission, diffs, and transfer case.. Remove the tires and inspect the brakes.. While you're there, pack the wheel bearings.. It doesn't have to be a permanent install, but hook up a manual oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure.. When you're finished with the inspection and service, all your data and information will be first hand and accurate.. BTW, stop stressing over gas filler doors and just drive the damn thing.. :argue:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Instead of relying on what mechanics, POs and others have told you about your truck, I suggest you take a day or 2 and put your truck on jack stands.. change the engine oil and filter, same for the transmission, diffs, and transfer case.. Remove the tires and inspect the brakes.. While you're there, pack the wheel bearings.. It doesn't have to be a permanent install, but hook up a manual oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure.. When you're finished with the inspection and service, all your data and information will be first hand and accurate.. BTW, stop stressing over gas filler doors and just drive the damn thing.. :argue:[/

Your right, I shouldn't get worked up over stupid fuel doors when I have more important things to tend to on it.

I am planing on going through everything but just haven't had the time. I’ll look into hooking up a manual gauge.

Last edited:

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Here are some more pictures. I also forgot to add that the transmission was rebuilt about 2,000 miles ago by the previous owner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub