New coolant temp sending unit showing maxed out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wassup77

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Hey guys I got a weird issue. On my 91 suburban 350 tbi, I had to replace my coolant temp sending unit. I bought a new one from autozone and it had the correct plug end and fits the whole in the head, but as soon as you turn the key On it goes to the maxed out position on the gage. The previous one worked fine until I broke it changing spark plugs. Have any of you ever had this problem? I’m thinking either it’s defective or it’s the wrong sending unit. Any advise is appreciated.

wassup77

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Well I don’t know of The sending unit was defective or if it was the wrong one, but I changed it again and now the gauge works.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
There are two different senders.

One for idiot light and one for gauge.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Yeah, I’m dealing with the same problem. I tested the new sender and it’s defective. It’s a direct short when it should have 650 ohms at 70 degrees.

Ben

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey guys I got a weird issue. On my 91 suburban 350 tbi, I had to replace my coolant temp sending unit. I bought a new one from autozone and it had the correct plug end and fits the whole in the head, but as soon as you turn the key On it goes to the maxed out position on the gage. The previous one worked fine until I broke it changing spark plugs. Have any of you ever had this problem? I’m thinking either it’s defective or it’s the wrong sending unit. Any advise is appreciated.
is it a one wire i assume. unplug it. what does gauge do.

wassup77

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Yeah, I’m dealing with the same problem. I tested the new sender and it’s defective. It’s a direct short when it should have 650 ohms at 70 degrees.

Ben
You were correct. I went to Napa and got another one, and it works fine now. I hate autozone lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You were correct. I went to Napa and got another one, and it works fine now. I hate autozone lol
i am lesss pleased with most auto stores more and more but autozone is the only store open on saturdays whenever i need something on a saturday that isnt complete incompetence in the noon-night part of the day. They got a guy from texas hes into bikes I assume based on his biker apparel and bike he drives and hat but he also is smart with vehicles which means he knows a thing or two and I assume its because hes seen a thing or two. then outside of gambling on weekdays in evening or just avoiding autozone in favor of an auto-value near me but priceier, but helpful nonetheless, I would take that simply by distance.

If the morning is fresh then NAPA it is because that old fart is there like clock work and I can always ask this girl I graduated with before going. she works there too. not really knowledgeable but they have her do non-knowledge having things.... which apparently is enough for an employee at an auto store so good for them.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

Napa is my favorite parts store in my town. AZ can eat a d¡ck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC