New C10 Owner: Help needed with leaf spring/flip kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lasvegas76C10

Reaction score
First Name
Rudy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 76 C10 short bed from the original owner, with an 8 leaf spring pack. I do not know if this came from the factory this way, or if the owner upgraded to a heavy duty pack at some point. I removed the springs, had the bushings removed and installed poly bushings. I purchased a western chassis flip kit. However, I can't get the axle to sit on the new flip kit saddles. The driveshaft is all the way in, but the axle is still not far enough forward.

As I am learning about all this, it seems as though a 4 leaf pack was standard issue? Also, I see that 4 leaf packs are 26"/26" on either side of the pin holding all of the leaves together. My 8 leaf pack is actually 26"/30". Is this why I can't get my axle to line up?

I am wondering if I need to buy a new set of springs to make the flip kit work? I have found brand new springs in both 4 and 6 leaf configurations that are 26"/26"

I am confused and don't really know how to approach the situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rudy

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
The driveshaft is all the way in, but the axle is still not far enough forward.

Mine is the same way - I can't get the axle to go far enough forward to get the rear u-joint into the pinion. I have up for now to get body work done and forgot to post about it. Hopefully someone will know what we've done. I mean, we can't be the only two that have ever done this...can we?

lasvegas76C10

Reaction score
First Name
Rudy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I wonder if we need to "shift" the springs back more using a crowbar, etc. Placing a bar in the rear shackle area and forcing the entire spring assembly to move back, in order to line things up. I just didn't know if a 26"/26" spring vs a 26"/30" had anything to do with being able to use a flip kit or not.

Thanks,

Rudy

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Pics are worth a thousand words... I'm confused by what seem to be two conflicting statements here. Is the axle not going far enough forward? Is the driveshaft too long now that you have lowered it? What exactly is the problem you are having here?

A little background on springs, they came in either 56" or 52" from the factory. Most 1/2 tons and short beds should have had 52" from the factory. The 56" has a softer ride than an equivalent spring rate 52". The only difference in mounting between the 52" and 56" spring setup would be the rear spring perch is moved back the 4" difference. The holes are already drilled in the frame for both spring options on the long bed trucks. I don't think this is possible on a short bed truck.

The way I am reading your post is that you have the springs mounted and when the axle is mounted to the springs, the driveshaft is too long? Looking at those flip kits, it doesn't surprise me if that's the case. They say you need to C-notch the frame because they lower the truck so much. When you lower the truck that much, the axle gets closer to the rear of the transmission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I haven't pulled mine back apart so maybe I have it in the wrong hole on the flip bracket:
RELOCATING (FLIPPING) REAR AXLE Reverse the leaf spring center bolt so the nut is on the bottom. Place the new axle locator bracket on top of the spring, with the off center hole toward front of vehicle. This will center the rear axle and pull the drive shaft back from the transmission slightly. Lower rear axle so the new axle supports fits up inside the existing rear axle pad welded to axle. Mark and drill a hole in the factory spring plate for the spring center pin. This hole is offset just like the flip bracket. Install factory U-bolts and factory spring plate on the bottom of the springs. Tighten U-bolts. FK1024-LTD includes new u-bolts and plates

wixthedog

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Bextreme hit the nail on the head with the long/short leaf packs and how they are hung. Short beds are always the 52" variety. The number of leafs in the pack will not effect your installation, only the amount of drop. Notching is not always required but cutting off the bump stops almost always is.

Pictures would really help here. In the past I have installed the 56" springs backwards and that made me scratch my head for a second until I realized my mistake and flipped them end for end.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I didn't know the springs were directional.

EDIT

I measure mine from front eyelet to spring pin in the 'center' and both had 25.5" from front to pin and 24" from pin to rear.
Guess having the springs in backwards is not my issue.

Last edited:

wixthedog

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I didn't know the springs were directional.

EDIT

I measure mine from front eyelet to spring pin in the 'center' and both had 25.5" from front to pin and 24" from pin to rear.
Guess having the springs in backwards is not my issue.

That's right, the 52's are equal on both sides of the center pin so you are good there.

Hope you get this sorted out soon, I know the frustrations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406