New Battery Cables, No Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tubby0

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Alright guys, so I recently became a proud owner of a 86 k10 305/700r4. Anyway I just replaced the battery cables along with fiddling with a few other bits and when I went to start back up the truck is acting like the key isn't in the ignition, don't believe the dome light came back on either. I tried my car's battery and I noticed that there was no little electrical noise when the second terminal contacted the battery. I made well sure my negative which I attached to the bracket beneath my alternator had the surface sanded down to nice fresh metal. Anyway the point of all this is that I don't think I have good connection at the starter solenoid and the new starter cables generic fitting is different than that of my original starter wire. Have you guys been able to get a good contact with aftermarket battery cables?

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
I made well sure my negative which I attached to the bracket beneath my alternator had the surface sanded down to nice fresh metal.

That ground should go to either the frame or the engine block....

tubby0

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hmm...okay so I tried just reinstalling the old battery cables and still no dice to the locations to which they were installed before, my truck has some interesting wiring from the PO and I wonder if I knocked something loose. I would assume if I know the battery has power and the positive and negative cables are installed shouldn't I get some interior lights or something?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The special shape of the connector on the starter end of an OEM positive cable is only there to keep it from twisting as it is tightened. It doesn't improve the conductivity of the connection.

If properly wired (and not defective), aftermarket battery cables will work as good as OEM. They may corrode quicker - but when new there's no difference.

You didn't forget to reconnect the other big wire (red) did you?

It goes on the same post as the hot wire from the battery and provides power to the field windings of the alternator and the rest of the truck.

The purple wire goes on the "s" post of the solenoid (or the "i" post - it doesn't matter). That is the power from the ignition switch (pulls the solenoid in and spins the starter when the key is in the start position).

tubby0

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That was it! I actually pointed out the O-terminal and said to my girlfriend earlier today, I wonder what that went to. I yanked out all the non functioning A/C, cruise control, and emissions equipment trying to open up my engine compartment a bit leaving a lot of little wires unspoken for. Now I just need to drain the water out of my radiator, refill with coolant, drain the transmission fluid and replace the filter, and finally change my oil!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You must be registered for see images attach