New and useless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Thanks for all the responses, fellas. Nothing like learning how much I don't yet know!

@75gmck25 Sorry, yes. I'm talking about the little cylindrical filter w/ spring at the carb inlet. Pretty sure we have it in correctly, but it's easy enough to check so I'll do so. I'm not aware of any other inline filters but I haven't traced anything back to the tank in front of the mechanical pump. I'll crawl under and have a look. As for checking vacuum leaks...well, I've tried. Used a couple of different methods and haven't found anything. I feel like something I watched made me leery about using carb cleaner but maybe that's the way I should go.

@Grit dog Makes me nervous to attempt a rebuild on my own, but then I've felt that way about all the other things we've eventually gotten accomplished. I'd like to do it myself. Only way to finally understand what's going on. Main concerns I had were that it seemed like there was something about bottom plugs or drilling out bushings or some such. Things to do with our modern fuels not treating the old stuff well. Anyway, just seemed like swapping in one that someone else had prepped might be better for someone of my skill level. I'll reconsider it. Got to start doing things at some point.

@SquareRoot Love the advice. And you would receive my boy's vote as well. He's got so many grand schemes and so much optimism. God love the poor kid, he doesn't seem to realize he's stuck with this old man

@oldretiredafguy Not something I look forward to doing, but I'd be lying if the boy hadn't suggested we might need to do that. Another thing on the to do list.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
This guy's got good info on the quadrajet. This is part 2 of his videos. I watched both and thought part 2 has more information about the secondaries but, you can watch the first one too.

He's not bashing the others just explained why he thinks it the better carb.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If you want to rebuild it yourself then there's a couple of good books about it. Or if your like me here's a video detailing how you rebuild your quadrajet. I don't like to read a lot. Rather watch and see than read. Lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hope this helps you

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
My thoughts on that...

You must be registered for see images attach

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Welcome from Florida

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the responses, fellas. Nothing like learning how much I don't yet know!

@75gmck25 Sorry, yes. I'm talking about the little cylindrical filter w/ spring at the carb inlet. Pretty sure we have it in correctly, but it's easy enough to check so I'll do so. I'm not aware of any other inline filters but I haven't traced anything back to the tank in front of the mechanical pump. I'll crawl under and have a look. As for checking vacuum leaks...well, I've tried. Used a couple of different methods and haven't found anything. I feel like something I watched made me leery about using carb cleaner but maybe that's the way I should go.

@Grit dog Makes me nervous to attempt a rebuild on my own, but then I've felt that way about all the other things we've eventually gotten accomplished. I'd like to do it myself. Only way to finally understand what's going on. Main concerns I had were that it seemed like there was something about bottom plugs or drilling out bushings or some such. Things to do with our modern fuels not treating the old stuff well. Anyway, just seemed like swapping in one that someone else had prepped might be better for someone of my skill level. I'll reconsider it. Got to start doing things at some point.

@SquareRoot Love the advice. And you would receive my boy's vote as well. He's got so many grand schemes and so much optimism. God love the poor kid, he doesn't seem to realize he's stuck with this old man

@oldretiredafguy Not something I look forward to doing, but I'd be lying if the boy hadn't suggested we might need to do that. Another thing on the to do list.

Dude, you’re doing what 99% of dad’s DONT do with their sons. And learning in the process. Keep it up! This is so awesome.
I tend to downplay it a lot because I’ve worked on cars my whole life and consequently I just “fix” everything and I think my boys just expect it and don’t appreciate it as much.
I still learn new stuff all the time but not like when my dad was working on our cars, when I was a kid.
If your son is interested, sounds like he is, keep it up! Far better experience than playing video games or whatever and something he will take with him in life as well as you.
On the carb, ****, try it, if the rebuild doesn’t work you’re out less than $50 and buy one that does work. If it does, you just rebuilt the carb!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My thoughts on that...

That second pic is reeeealy disturbing! Wish I could un see it! Lol

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Thanks @RedBeard_83

I appreciate it @Grit dog Not going to lie and say that I'm not fighting the video games for his attention. That's how these boys socialize now I guess.

Wish I had more time, but the truck's in the way at work. So I just broke down and got a replacement quad from nationalcarburetors as someone else suggested. I think just swapping one out (complete with new vacuum lines all around) will be a good jumping off point for us. Just waiting for it to come in now. In the interim, I'm just spending my free hours researching approaches and options and blah blah blah. That's what I do. Overanalyze. But we'll get there.

Those are helpful videos @82sbshortbed That's the kind of thing I need. Opted to swap one in this time, but I always think it's helpful to see a process and try to understand how things work. I'll revisit those as we go through our swap.

Appreciate everyone's help

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Thanks @RedBeard_83

I appreciate it @Grit dog Not going to lie and say that I'm not fighting the video games for his attention. That's how these boys socialize now I guess.

Wish I had more time, but the truck's in the way at work. So I just broke down and got a replacement quad from nationalcarburetors as someone else suggested. I think just swapping one out (complete with new vacuum lines all around) will be a good jumping off point for us. Just waiting for it to come in now. In the interim, I'm just spending my free hours researching approaches and options and blah blah blah. That's what I do. Overanalyze. But we'll get there.

Those are helpful videos @82sbshortbed That's the kind of thing I need. Opted to swap one in this time, but I always think it's helpful to see a process and try to understand how things work. I'll revisit those as we go through our swap.

Appreciate everyone's help

That's a good choice. I did just that and was really happy with the quadrajet they sent me. I just put it on hooked it up and it's working like a champ. You should be really happy with it.

KC John

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Aw man @82sbshortbed it was you who gave me that place. My bad. I should have gone back to doublecheck before my last post. Thanks for the heads-up. I had a helpful conversation with someone there and pulled the trigger. Can't wait for it to get here.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Don't worry about it. Glad I could help. Give us an update when you get it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman